New JPEG format is coming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New JPEG format is coming.

Just to inform the forum. I've found this interesting info.
    http://webreview.com/pub/1999/08/13/feature/index.html

Another brick in the JPEG wall!

Cheers

Luigi

I've used PNG for web graphics. PhotoImpact's SmartSaver gives the option of using PNG, GIF or JPG and very often it's plain-Jane GIF or JPG that wins the size race. Depends on the content.

As for JPEG2000's wavelet technology that has been already applied to video on several of the set top video editing systems with excellent results. An "MJP2K" might just be a good prosumer video codec if someone bothers to properly develop it.

Given the efforts being put into MPEG-2, DV and MPEG-4 I tend to doubt it though.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Currently Bink Video uses Wavelet Technology along with DCT and Motion Compensation.. Bink is EXTREMELY slow to compress video, probably the slowest known video encoder right now. It is indeed capable of obtaining higher quality than MPEG-2 at lower datarates but the filesizes still come out huge and it takes forever to encode (even 352x240 videos that arent compressed). What i'm trying to say really is that it isn't efficient.. Right now I prefer to use a 1400k datarate with DivX at high motion which makes most videos the eqvivalent filesize of a 1150k MPEG-1 video and at higher quality. Currently what does impress me though is RealProducer 8, it certainly does have potential as it does get better quality than DivX at lower bitrates, and possibly may have a future when the final comes out with higher bitrate capability.

Comment

Currently Bink Video uses Wavelet Technology along with DCT and Motion Compensation.. Bink is EXTREMELY slow to compress video, probably the slowest known video encoder right now. It is indeed capable of obtaining higher quality than MPEG-2 at lower datarates but the filesizes still come out huge and it takes forever to encode (even 352x240 videos that arent compressed). What i'm trying to say really is that it isn't efficient.. Right now I prefer to use a 1400k datarate with DivX at high motion which makes most videos the eqvivalent filesize of a 1150k MPEG-1 video and at higher quality. Currently what does impress me though is RealProducer 8, it certainly does have potential as it does get better quality than DivX at lower bitrates, and possibly may have a future when the final comes out with higher bitrate capability.

Comment

The Scaleable Vector Graphics (SVG) format has nothing to do with video. It is a very promising format that could bridge the gap and bring some standardisation between formats like PDF, Flash and Shockwave as far as laying out and anotateing documents for the web.

PDF is basically a paper page layout and Flash is vector animations, SVG seems to have the power and flexabilty to take on both roles. And more importantly it is an open XML based format so it should be universally interchanable on all platforms.

All we need now is decent software and plugins to support it.

James

Comment

I ran a "quick test" with Bink (encoded a 30-second clip in 60 minutes....) and it screwed up completely; I guess it's not compatible with huffYuv?
            Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Working...
            X