No announcement yet.

XP CPU's, how much PSU power do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP CPU's, how much PSU power do I need?

On a danish hardware price comparison site, it says that XP CPU's require a 300 Watt PSU. But I know people who run them on 235 Watt PSU's.

Is 300 Watts really necessary? Will the CPU give me less performance on less Watts, or is the site just misinforming me?
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

I think that also depends on the other components of your system. If you just have on HDD, a DVD drive, 256 MB RAM, a Matrox G400 and maybe a NIC, then I think it would run.
    But if you would have a Parhelia, 2 HDDs, one DVD drive, CD-RW drive, NIC, Soundcard, RAID controller, additional case fans and so on, you might really need a 300W+ PSU.
    Specs:
    MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

Buy only what is on AMD reccommended PS list.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
        Buy only what is on AMD reccommended PS list.
        Had a look. The list contains pretty much every known (and unknown) PSU manufacturer in the world. It doesn't say a word about watts though. Maybe I have been misinformed!?
        If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

300 watt is the bare minimum.

usualy those that run athlons with lower wattage psu's burn out their motherboard after a while
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

glad I asked!

thanks

Comment

Strange, AMD used to have a list of specific power supplies, but now the link is useless.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Last I checked the link it was ~2months ago. Yes it is worthless now
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

For power supply wattage requirments, please see the AMD Builders Guide, which tells you how to calculate required wattage:

Also, remember that the quality of a power supply is often times more important than its overall wattage. Currently, my favorite is the Antec Truepower series...

Tomasz

Comment

An interresting read, but way too complex for me

Think I'll just get me a new PSU

Thanks to all of you!

Comment

I had a 300Watter until I bought my Volcano heatsink/fan, the fan overdrew the power supply on my system, half my memory disappeared and it was unstable at it's lowly overclocked speed, so I bought a 520W Toppower and haven't had any trouble since...

Just be sure that you get one that is listed on AMD's site!
                      Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

I have either been lucky, or power supplies are a bit over hyped. I have an old full tower case I bought a few years back (Inwin Q500 I think), came with a 300 wat PSU. I have 4 7200 rpm hard drives, 2 optical drives, a geforce 3, a t-bird 1.4 and a gig of ram, all which run fine on the PSU that came with the tower. Only reason I upgraded my PSU is because Fry's had a good deal on a Sparkle unit.

Comment

I have to concur with Rev on this one... the PS (Powerman 300w) shipped with the InWin Q500 tower cases are very nice indeed... can take a real beating and IMHO are actually highly underated.

Comment

a pity the same couldn't be said of the 300W unit I bought from some guy selling parts out of the back of his car, I thought it was a bargain for $5!!
                            Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Originally posted by Reverend Maynard
                              I have either been lucky, or power supplies are a bit over hyped. I have an old full tower case I bought a few years back (Inwin Q500 I think), came with a 300 wat PSU. I have 4 7200 rpm hard drives, 2 optical drives, a geforce 3, a t-bird 1.4 and a gig of ram, all which run fine on the PSU that came with the tower. Only reason I upgraded my PSU is because Fry's had a good deal on a Sparkle unit.
                              Do you guys think a Sparkle 350 can handle 5 HDs (2 5600 rpms, 3 7200), a DVD drive, a CD-Burner, a Marvel G200, half a gig of RAM, and a XP 1800+? Right now it is running only 4 HDs and a Celeron 466.
                              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                              X