Modded my Parhelia part Deux The Heatsink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modded my Parhelia part Deux The Heatsink

Dr Mordrid started this off by adding Ram Sinks and a better fan to his Parhelia.

I just replaced the stock Heatsink with a larger Heatsink and higher output fan.

I ordered the fan from: http://www.coldcpu.com/product.asp?alphacatid=VIDEOBX after scouring the net for something better than the too common Orbs that I don't like.

This one is 50x50x32mm and has a 17 cfm fan.

The first step is to remove the stock heatsink. I used Greebe's hair dryer technique. To remove the 2 pins holding the Parhelia Heatsink on just pull the center piece out of each pin. Then you can easily pop out the remainder with the spring.
    Warm up the Parhelia Heatsink with a hair dryer for a minute or two. This loosens the thermal compound and as Greebe said you can easily twist it off.

This shows the dark thermal compound which is very sticky.

To remove it I carefully scrapped it off with a razorblade.

And then cleaned off the remainder with acetone.

I attached the new Heatsink by an old proven method of using heatsink compound(Arctic Silver) and a drop of Super Glue on each corner of the GPU. Applying pressure for about 5 minutes until the glue had set.

Here is a picture of the Sunon fan that comes with the heatsink.

And last is a picture showing the new Heatsink, the stock Parhelia Heatsink and a Blue Orb in the background for a size comparison.

Did it help???
    Yes!! But I'd have to shoot you if I told you how much

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Come on, how much? How about if you just shoot me in the leg?
    Nice documentation.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

How many PCI slots does this one render unusable, just one or two?
      Nice Pix!

/edit: much->many (should not post early in the morning...)
      Last edited by MetalCartman; 9 July 2002, 01:51.
      main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

two
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

LOL....Just PCI1 but the fan is too close to the card in PCI2 to "suck" air through the Heatsink. So set it up to blow on the Heatsink with the ColdCPU logo showing.

Paul
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Now if we could only have one of those new Y.S. Tech hubless T.M.D fans Paul your solution would be alot more effective
            Last edited by Greebe; 8 July 2002, 23:42.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Nah Greebe, its FAR too noisy.
              Stay beneath 20DB, thats my mantra. Even have a PSU that runs from 14-20DB.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

ALBPM: Do you mind explaining what the green wire running along you P is doing/provides.

I am assuming you don't have an alpha/beta card........

Comment

The green wire was also on the Beta boards, so it could be that it's not a final board
                  Now what was my sig again......

Comment

It is a pre-release board the wire is not on the final shipping boards.

Paul

Comment

How do you pull it off?

Comment

ah you don't..... LOL on shipping boards that was fixed and integrated on the board. They were just checking some minor last minute fixes when the beta boards were shipped.
                        Life is what you make it. Boy did I make it suck!!

Comment

I knew it wasn't on the final shipping boards. I thought it would have been the trick to overclock the P.....

Comment

How about using non-beta drivers to give us some indication of speed improvements?

Comment

Protege, I was talking about pulling off the super-glued heatsink, not the green wire.

Comment

Working...
                              X