These sounded nifty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These sounded nifty

I stopped by one of my local audio stores, and he had these on display. I never heard something so convincing that it was the real thing/performer, and not a speaker.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

I think I saw them in a childrens TV show in the late 70's.
    They lived on the moon, or something
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

They look nice don't they I want some. Ah but I want doesn't get.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

looks sweet. probably 50.000$ or sth.
        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Or try some of these, they're Ok sounding too.

Etymotic ER-4S:

Sennheiser HD600:

Corda Headamp-1:

Comment

Or this one?

AZ

EDIT: Don't know why the IMG tags don't work, the URL works for me...
            Last edited by az; 8 July 2002, 16:18.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I'm sure the Orpheus sounds nice too, but it's a tad too expensive for me.

Caution! 640kB close up of some rather expensive headphones.

Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 8 July 2002, 16:28.

Comment

...plus, they're limited to threehundred worldwide!

BTW, do you own the 'phones posteed above?

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yep, the pictures of the HD600's were mine own, along with the Corda amp (which was the DIY version, soldering is fun ). Didn't have a good picture of my ER-4S, so I used a picture from HeadRoom's site. Also have a Grado SR-80, a Total Airhead portable amp, a Panasonic SL-SW860 portable CDP, a Denon DCM-370 CDP, and a Technics SH-GE50 equalizer.

Comment

The lack of a cabinet while still controlling the backwave can make for some awesome sounding speakers.. see the B&W Nautilus for another example. Electrostats don't have to worry about cabinets either.

Jon, I also have the HD600s with a Headroom Max amp (old style, which I got cheap when they had their closeout sale. ) They make a great combination, especially with a good CD player (Nakamichi CD Player2 here.. older but excellent.) The kind of sweet sounds I get to hear with this setup just cannot be had in a regular amp/speaker setup without spending tens of thousands of dollars, plus having ideal room characteristics.

Comment

btw Chuck they're refered to as Dipole radiators and can have very profound negative effect of not limited to a specific low frequency range. Enter Quad ESL63's of years gone past.
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X