Modded my Parhelia.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modded my Parhelia.....

Well...I finally modded my Parhelia a bit. So much for using PCI-1 :-)

I cut four ramsinks out of 2 identical CPU HS's I had laying around. Each is 12mm wide x 27mm long x 19 mm high (18 vertical legs: 3 rows of 6) and bridges two memory chips. They are bonded using a very thin layer of Arctic Alumina 2 part heat sink adhesive.

The standard GPU heat sink is still in place, but a higher throughput 1000 ma 50 mm fan is now doing the ventilation duties. This fan's current draw is nearly 8x that of the one that came with the Parhelia (130 ma) so I gave it a new power connector that goes direct to the system P/S.

Here's the result (pardon the poor lighting);

Here you get a closer look. I'm cutting the sensor wire for the new fan as it will go unused (yes Greebe, it got a piece of shrink tubing

Sorry, but I cannot post any benches or settings as the DD build I'm using isn't public and under NDA.....but I will say that it was well worth the effort

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 July 2002, 11:30.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

1000mA, whoa that fan must be noisy.

/ Z

Comment

Nope, not at all. The blades have proper shapes and there is a rather small space between the blade tip and the duct, both of which are big factors in noise generation. So is the RPM at which the fans runs, and this one doesn't pretend to be an airplane propulsion system like some coolers I could mention

Dr. Mordrid

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 July 2002, 09:29.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Those ramsinks look almost identical to mine Doc, but a tad taller at 25mm and black.

I have a 54mm x 50mm x 25mm HS on the gpu with a Papst 60mm 32cfm fan mounted so it blows edgewise (with duct work) across the top and bottom at a ~25%/75% flow respectively.

Works good but the Papst fan is the loudest thing in my system... should have a custom made waterjacket done in a couple of days so I can eliminate that noise
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe:

how much difficulty did you have removing the GPU heat sink? That's the only thing that kept me from sticking something bigger on there.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

A 10lb sledge hammer, and wood splitting wedge should get the job done
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Use plastic tools to get glued on heatsinks off and do it at the corners of the heats sink.... I did this to my ATI Radeon 8500 Retail and now with the crystal orb (and a little artic silver 3 ) on I'll tell ya the GPU sits about 10 degrees lower than before.
              Last edited by {PainCresT}DAn; 7 July 2002, 10:08.
              What was the error? Well its the ID10T error.

Comment

forgot to mention BE CAREFULL!!! don't do it near any surface mount component... try to find a bare PCB area to pry the sink off.
                What was the error? Well its the ID10T error.

Comment

Sticking the graphics card into a freezer for a few minutes before the operation can also make the heatsink to pop off easier.

Comment

Re: Modded my Parhelia.....

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                    Well...I finally modded my Parhelia a bit. So much for using PCI-1 :-)

Sorry, but I cannot post any benches or settings as the DD build I'm using isn't public and under NDA.....but I will say that it was well worth the effort

Dr. Mordrid
                    Can you tell us if it went to smooth to really frikcen smooth?
                    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Well, in my case, to remove the heatsink, I insert a small razor blade to make a small space between the heatsink and GPU (note: its much easier when it's slightly hot, so I heated it a bit (not too much...) with a hair dryer, then inserted an old video club member card and pried both apart using a pretty sharp flat-tip screwdriver. I put the Intel retail heatsink-fan than came with my Tualatin, added a 50x50x6mm copper plate screwed+artic-silver-epoxyed to the heatsink, bolted the assembly on the card using nylon bolts and nuts, and served the whole thing with mustard on a kaiser bread :P Maybe I'll also add some ramsinks , but that's not totally sure, as it's easy to see i've tampered with the card (if something goes wrong, I can always put back the original heatsink and RMA it back, but if I epoxy ramsinks on the memory chips and screw it up, i'm stuck with a $700 can doorstop/paperweight... Besides, the memory is rated at 300 MHz DDR without any cooling.

If you have Intel retail heatsink for the P3 or higher laying around, I HIGHLY suggest you use this, because it is pretty light (all aluminum) so it won'T put too much stree on the card once installed.

Addendum: I strongly suggest you do NOT freeze the card to ease the HSF removal process; instead, HEAT it using a hair-dryer. freezing the card actually makes the glue STRONGER but less tensile. So it will require more force to remove, but at one point the glue will break and the heatsink will go flying in the room. Heating it will soften the glue, so even though it won't pop off instantly, it will be less dangerous for the card. But that only my advice... If you want to take additional risks with your BRAND NEW, VERY EXPENSIVE video card, it's you decision.
                      Last edited by frankymail; 7 July 2002, 12:47.
                      What was necessary was done yesterday;
                      We're currently working on the impossible;
                      For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
                      - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
                      - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
                      - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
                      - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
                      - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
                      (Server)
                      - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
                      - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
                      - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
                      - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

Re: Re: Modded my Parhelia.....

Originally posted by GT98

Can you tell us if it went to smooth to really frikcen smooth?
                        Or how much oc %
                        P4 2,4@2,6 AsusP4T-533 C 512 mb PC 1066 Quantum Atlas 10KII SCSI ATI R9700

Comment

Other than a direct temperature reading, is there anyway to measure the temperature (and presumably temperature reduction)?
                          Homebuilt Intel P3 933 Mhz, 512 Mb RAM, ASUS CUSL2-C MB, 400w TruePower Antec PS, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, WD 160 Gb Spec Ed HD, Yamaha 20x10x40 SCSI Rewritable, Toshiba 12x DVD, Parhelia 128 (replaced a G400MAX), Win XP Pro SP1 w/latest patches

Comment

Doc, et al.

Remove fan, lift up the center retaining pins, heat with a hair drier for a minute and it comes right off. Parhelia's HS is bonded by a brownish black thermal wax.
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

hmm since there would be no reason to mod your P if you didn't intend to o/c it can i assume that the BBz already got some o/c tool but are not allowed to talk about it yet?
                              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Working...
                              X