Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI VE verses Matrox G550

Who has the advantages over this deal?

What are the pro's and cons? to you knowledge?

I will be working in Windows 2000...

Also, what is the difference between Ati VE and ATI 7500?
    AMD XP 2100
    (2x) 512meg's PC 2700 RAM
    LeadTech Nforce 2 MB
    ATI 9500 nonpro
    56x CDROM
    32x CDRW
    8x DVD
    WinTV 401 PCI
    V.92 Modem
    120 gig WD SE HD

The Radeon VE, or Radeon 7000 as it is now more commonly known is a decent card, but the one I recently purchased at work has truely horrid picture quality via analogue D-Sub. The DVI seems fine though. Personally I would choose a G550 every time, but this only cost £27, so it was hard to refuse.

The Radeon VE/7000 is a poor choice for gaming compared with the upper Radeon cards, as it lacks most of the advanced 3D features present on the 7500 and 8500.

Comment

I had a Radeon VE recently. The drivers were so increadibly unstable under 2000 I wound up junking the card and getting a 2nd hand Voodoo 3000 instead, which worked flawlessly.

Stick with Matrox if you can.
      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

The Radeon7500 is MUCH faster than the VE, but also more expensive.
        Even the VE should be a bit better for gaming than the G550.

But if you're really planning to do gaming the VE will be just too slow nowadays, you should get the Radeon7500 or even the 8500LE (has dropped in price quite a bit the last weeks). The Gf4 Ti4200 would be another reasonable alternative.

If you're not into gaming, the G550 would probably be the better choice than the RadeonVE, since I've heard claims about the VE having bad signal quality more than once - and this is the field where the G550 excels.

EDIT: All recent Radeon drivers are VERY stable here in Win2k.
        Last edited by Indiana; 7 July 2002, 06:45.
        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
        My System
        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
        German ATI-forum

Comment

What do you plan to do?

Only G550 will allow independent resolutions in DualHead.

P.
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Indiana I can't totaly agree with you on the stable driver thing with ATI... I've had deal with various ATI products (and being that I'm the Systems/Networks administrator where I work and we only have ATI here except 3 G450's) and I just recently purchased the 8500 retail (275/275) 128MB card I can say that for the most part the cards are great hardware but drivers always have something querky about them... ether things like font corruption, graphics anomalies, or weird things like all games play smooth but GTA3... donesn't matter even if I disable everything it still chops.... doesn't make sense

My GF3 Ti200 (which died for no reasone) 64MB could play the game reasonably good (had to lower some detail but nothing big). If I play on the 8500 it plays smooth most of the time then all of the sudden loads of disk access and chopety chop chop. if I max the settings things tend to be a little better but still it chops. All other games I've played are perfectly fine no problems at all just GTA3... even if I set it to 800x600 it still chops.....

Back to the drivers how about when my system goes into standby... never had a problem with my GF3.... but it goes into standby and when you try to bring it up the screen spews out a multy coloured TV styled static on the screen and the system never comes back... ATI really need to focus more on there drivers and compatibility. ATI has great hardware but poor drivers, at least compaired to its competitors.
            What was the error? Well its the ID10T error.

Comment

Well the drivers work fine for me under win2k I did have a problem six months ago when drivers wouldn't work with anything Norton but thats now been fixed everything is fine.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Theres one thing I forgot and thats ATI don't have a proper uninstaller and leave tons of files scattered all over the windows directory. If ones screwing you up the chance of finding it is about zilch.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

GTA doesn't run good with the Radeon, but that's surely not ATIs fault here. GTA3 ran like crap on Geforces as well, just that they released a fix for this. A fix for the ATI is available that doesn't fully solve all issues but still helps a bit.
                  GTA doesn't run smooth on the Parhelia, either.

It has to be the worst coded game ever, having problems on ALL major chipsets without applying fixes (NVidia, ATI, now Matrox. Don't know 'bout Kyro, but I'd surely be surprised if it ran smooth there).

I never had issues with text-corruption here.
                  Sometimes some games don't like the hierachicalZ optimization of the ATI resulting in clipping errors / popping polygons. Temporaribly turning off HierarchicalZ normally solves these issues.

(Of course in total NVidias drivers will give less issues with games, but since I'm not really the hardcore gamer I don't care that much.)
                  But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                  My System
                  2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                  German ATI-forum

Comment

I guess parhelia is out since your probably looking for an inexpensive solution. But that should play GTA3 rather well.
                    Life is what you make it. Boy did I make it suck!!

Comment

Is the G450 the almost the same as the G550?
                      AMD XP 2100
                      LeadTech Nforce 2 MB
                      ATI 9500 nonpro
                      56x CDROM
                      32x CDRW
                      8x DVD
                      WinTV 401 PCI
                      V.92 Modem
                      120 gig WD SE HD

Comment

In terms of 2d/3d speed, I dont think theres much in it between the G450 and the G550.
                        AFAIK, the G400Max is the fastest of the G-Series cards made.
                        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

And the G400Max is able to do dual independant display?
                          AMD XP 2100
                          LeadTech Nforce 2 MB
                          ATI 9500 nonpro
                          56x CDROM
                          32x CDRW
                          8x DVD
                          WinTV 401 PCI
                          V.92 Modem
                          120 gig WD SE HD

Comment

Yes
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Do, you know of a good cheap place to buy a G400Max?
                              AMD XP 2100
                              LeadTech Nforce 2 MB
                              ATI 9500 nonpro
                              56x CDROM
                              32x CDRW
                              8x DVD
                              WinTV 401 PCI
                              V.92 Modem
                              120 gig WD SE HD

Comment

Working...