MOBO suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOBO suggestions?

Looking to build a new system to hook up to my HDTV, what MOBO would you suggest using? Looking for something with AGP 8x and NIC built in. Any suggestions?
    Fenrir(AVA)
    "Fearlessness is better then a faint-heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors.
    The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago"
    Anonymous lines from For Scirnis

I think your requirement of AGP 8X is going to bite you in the rear end right now. Dont expect to see AGP 8X boards till the end of the year...
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Isn't the R300 going to AGP 8x though? If the card comes out before anything mobos are out.....
      Fenrir(AVA)
      "Fearlessness is better then a faint-heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors.

Comment

Abit, MSI and Asus have already presented boards with the SiS648 chipset which supports AGP 8x. You can find a review of the Asus board here. The board will be available in July / August. However, benchmarks on the SiS Xabre 400 have shown that the performance increase that can be achieved with AGP 8x is very small...

Comment

Not worried to much about the performance increase just want the comp to be semi-future proof, so to speak. Thanks for the help man, been searching everywere trying to find mobo with AGP8x I appreciate it.
          Fenrir(AVA)

Comment

Pass on the ABIT anything... crap caps

ALi bleh

MSI will have a new MB with the SiS 746 chipset out here very shortly which will support AGP8x...

Last edited by Greebe; 8 July 2002, 05:54.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Don't like SiS. Like VIA and Intel....
              Fenrir(AVA)

Comment

your shooting yourself in the foot if you don't consider SIS.

I would steer clear of VIA, they have consistently had compatibilty problems since the first athlon chipset.(KX)

SIS 745 and 746 are excellent chipsets for a lot of reasons..(even 735 is good)
                The 64x chipsets for intel p4 are very good as well.

What about a nvidia chipset?

Comment

Avoiding SiS is a mistake. They pulled off a minor miracle with the 735, and the 745 follows that tradition. I'm an AMD user, and I used to buy Via boards, because what choice did I have? (I had a 75x board, which was great, but AMD didn't keep updating their chips). Let's see: AGP issues, shitty south bridges, better support from volunteers than from the company: what's to really like about Via?
                  Meanwhile, I have a kickass motherboard that was only $65.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yup. SiS may have at one time made crap chipsets, but no more. They have way more PCI bandwidth than VIA's do by no small margin and the ones I have here are ROCK SOLID. I'd even put the ECS K7S6A on a par with the old Asus P3B-F for stability, and that's saying something.

SiS P4 and Athlon boards are among the preferred hardware for Matrox's new RT.X100 realtime editing boards because of the PCI bandwidth issue. VIA's didn't make the cut....not even close. In fact Matrox has recommended against using VIA's chipsets with the RT.X100.

I tried mine on both the GA-7VRX and K7S6A systems and it was no competition. The VIA KT333 chipped GA-7VRX choked every time the RT.X100 did anything PCI bus intensive while the K7S6A just hummed along.

'nuff for me.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 July 2002, 11:07.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

So SIS has greatly improved then. The last chipset I used form them was a POS unstable as hell. I will definitely give it a look, any ideas when MSI will be releasing the mother board?
                      Fenrir(AVA)

Comment

Just go ahead and get the 745Ultra for now. $65 at newegg. For that cheap, you can afford it AND its replacement, for about the same price as 1 Via board.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Let me hop on the bandwagon also. I got a ECS 735 Board for to replace my trusty old BH6 that I gave to my GF and it works great with Windows 98 and no problems what so ever with it.

I had a KG-7RAID set up in my main system with the AMD 760/VIA 686B southbus and the thing wouldnt run XP for a worth of crap for more then week at a time before totally fragging the registry and making XP totally unuseable. I sold that POS shit and got an Asus A7S333 and this board has been great...runs XP like top, no soundblaster Live/Augidy issues with PCI hogging and I even get a little OC out of my AXP 2100+ on top of that. I wish I would have went with the MSI board for some more OCing options, but otherwise I'm very happy with the Asus Board. Only dissapointment overall that I've seen with the SiS 745 chipset is that it looks like most Board Manufactures don't offer a intergrated NIC with it. Thats one thing that the 735 did offer.

SiS had some shitty boards back in the Socket7 Era, but they have really turned around with the 735 Chip and onwards. Wouldnt mind checking out one of their P4 based boards (which are legal in the eyes of Intel) for use.
                          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                            Avoiding SiS is a mistake. They pulled off a minor miracle with the 735, and the 745 follows that tradition. I'm an AMD user, and I used to buy Via boards, because what choice did I have? (I had a 75x board, which was great, but AMD didn't keep updating their chips). Let's see: AGP issues, shitty south bridges, better support from volunteers than from the company: what's to really like about Via?
                            Meanwhile, I have a kickass motherboard that was only $65.
                            I agree with everything there my next board will be sis based probably with a very overcockable P4. You also forgot about the FUD the Via put out when everything goes wrong.
                            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It might be smart to wait a litle with AGPx8, VIA will release the KT400 chipset soon, and nVidia will probably release nForce 2 on a couple of weeks

Comment

Working...
                              X