Via and Intel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Via and Intel?

Whats the deal with VIA and Intel? With the motherboards...and intel not being to happy with VIA producing boards for P4?
    Fenrir(AVA)
    "Fearlessness is better then a faint-heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors.
    The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago"
    Anonymous lines from For Scirnis

VIA doesn't have a license for the Pentium 4 frontside bus (it has been reported that the license fees demanded by Intel were so high that VIA refused to pay them). VIA now produces P4 chipsets without a license but it remains questionable if this is illegal or not. For this reason (and to avoid the wrath of Intel) most motherboard manufacturers don't produce VIA-based P4 boards but use SiS chipsets instead on their P4 boards (SiS has got a license from Intel).
    To push their chipsets into the market, VIA has begun to sell its own motherboard brand (however, the boards are produced by other manufacturers, as far as I know Soltek is one of them) but so far they are very rare at the retail stores...

Comment

The case is already finished and Intel won. VIA isn't able to manufacture the P4 chipsets because the S3 license wasn't transferrable.

Comment

Working...
      X