Our FINAL DVD 'VCR' Test Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our FINAL DVD 'VCR' Test Results

I'm sorry to report some bad news about the DVD+R disc.

OUR FINAL 'ACID' TEST RESULTS

Our three contenders were:

1. Panasonic DMR-E20: about $700
    2. Pioneer DVR-7000: around $1,700 - $1,800
    3. Philips DVCR 985: about $1,000

Our 'Acid' test DVD-ROM drive is the DVS DSR1600H:

Panasonic DMR-E20:

DVD-Rs produced by this unit played in every set top player we tried, but not in every computer DVD-ROM drive we tried. DVD-R discs created by this unit are rejected by our DVD-R compliant DVS DVD-ROM drive. DVD-R discs created by this unit were *also* rejected by the Creative Labs PC-DVD Ovation 16x drive and the Hi-Val HDVD16A - 16R DVD-ROM drive.

Philips DVCR 985:

Yesterday evening, I thought the DVD+R disc we recorded on this unit was going to play in our problem drive... the DVS DSR1600H because the disc played in every computer DVD-ROM drive we tested inside Circuit City. The disc also played in my home GE 1106P-B player and in my Panasonic LF-D311 DVD-R/DVD-RAM drive.

*However* - the DVD+R disc... when inserted into our DVS DSR1600H... literally almost destroyed the drive, causing the heads to thrash wildly! This was a catastrophic disappointment.

Pioneer DVR-7000

Our last hope was the DVD-R disc recorded on the DVR-7000, which is the most expensive DVD VCR of the three.

BINGO!!!

The PIONEER DVR-7000-recorded DVD-R disc played in our problem drive - in the DVS DSR1600H - with absolutely no problems.

THE WINNER: PIONEER DVR-7000!!!

Pioneer is the "old veteran" when it comes to manufacturing DVD devices and it really has been evident to us in our testing.

We absolutely must have units that can produce compatible DVD-Rs because we'll be recording literally hours and hours of material to disc in the months ahead.

Enough said. We'll be buying the Pioneer units.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!
Working...
X