Another Fasttrak poser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Fasttrak poser

When I try to defragment my Fasttrak 66 array (twin 30 gig Maxtors, RAID 2+0) I get an error message 'prox' 1/3 through:
    "Drivespace Assertion"
    "Windows or another program has locked this drive"

It takes a cold shutdown and restart to bring the array up again. I can expect the message to show up at least twice before defrag is complete.

No such problem occurs when defragging the system drive (17 gig Maxtor).

1200 Tbird
    Abit KT7A
    Marvel G200
    fasttrak 66
    3Com PCI network card
    TBSC
    256 PC100
    Win98FE
    PD5.41
    VT1.52
    DX 8.1
    Prem 6.0
    Zonealarm

Given the size and speed of todays drives, is RAID even worth the bother anymore?

Kevin

Drivespace Assertion? Is that drive a compressed volume?

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Negative. According to MS support, Drivespace assertion is invoked when a Norton disk utility is loaded or when the FAT is damaged. Neither case applies here.

I'm now working on the assumption that one of the drives in the array is flaky, because I was getting annoying video stutters when trying to output to tape. Also, it tends to click a little when it gets too full.

As far as the stuttering is concerned, I've been going through the system looking for chokepoints, refreshing drivers, etc. without success. I even reformatted the array and ended up with Matrox benchmark numbers of 30+ MB/sec. (take that fwiw).

I'm currently reformating with just one drive hooked up to the Fasttrak (clicky one disconnected). If this doesn't work, I'm going to seriously start thinking about a new line of work!

Kevin

Comment

Update:

Now with just one drive on Fasttrak, Matrox Benchmark is closer to 14 - 15 MB/sec. Not unexpected and should still work, right?

Right?

Kevin

Comment

Single drive arrays can be done, yes. Normally they are set up as JBOD's, but you can also do a single drive striped array.

Were the drives on the same cable or was one on each?

RAID 2+0? Huh? Don't recognize that type.

FT's do JBOD (non-interleaved striped array; aka: spanned), RAID0 (interleaved striped array), RAID1 (mirrored drive) and RAID 0+1 (mirrored striped array).

Which was it?

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 July 2002, 22:53.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Each drive had its own cable. On boot the Fasttrak IDs the RAID as 2+0 striped.

Just one drive on the Fasttrak had no effect. Video stutter is still there, MOCKING ME...

Next gonna try just the MB onboard IDE controller (ATA100).

Grabbin' at straws...

Kevin

Comment

ahhh....the card bios lists 2 as the drive count...OK.

One thing you should do is install the FastCheck tool if you haven't already and in the installer opt for it to run at startup.

Once SmartCheck is installed go to the Options page and UN-check the S.M.A.R.T. function. S.M.A.R.T. checks the drive status every second or so, which is murder on transfer rates and causes lots of interruptions in throughput (meaning lots of dropped frames etc.). Leave the Cache turned on.

The ABIT KT7a MB is another affair. That is a notoriously problematic board. VIA Hardware has a troubleshooting page here you might want to check out;

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X