Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Parhelia Preview at Aceshardware

Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

I was just there to see if they had posted up a review, those are some really really disapointing results, i hope the drivers performance improves as the matrox card is being outpeformed by the Geforce4 in alot of games and professional applications.

Comment

As was said in the article and I beleive has been hinted at here or the matrox boards...together with the 256MB version there will be a completely redone OpenGL driver set. Prepared for professional apps, though if this will also improve the results in OpenGL games is still up to debate

Cobos
      My Specs
      AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

Hmm...differen drivers for 128MB and 256MB?
        Meet Jasmine.
        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Possible, though the impression I had was that Matrox has hired someone to write pro OpenGL drivers and they are not finished yet, but they will be released with the 256MB P as this is aimed towards the pro market. Though nothing is stopping Matrox from making sure they don't work on the "little P" (the 128 and 64MB versions ). Or I might simply be so off I'm not even close to the barn

Cobos
          My Specs
          AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

well that would be total bullshit not releasing the new opengl driver for the 64/128 mb card

if there even will be a new one (driver I mean)

matrox always put stability on the first placen , then features and then speed.
            Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

Personally any comments on Future products, even if alluded to by Matrox is complete rumour...
              We all remember all the things the P was supposed to be, and this reeks of someone'e UN-Informed imagination...

Seperate drivers?!?! Umm doesn't Matrox use Unified Driver sets? Isn't Matrox quite proud of their unified driver set??

complete rubish...

Anyway, Ace's numbers really show how long Matrox has to go before they have well performing OGL drivers... Atleast these work out of the box - a feat in its own right...

Craig
              1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

Those marks are really, awfully embarassing. I hope the powers at M have the good sense to be truly embarassed though..

Comment

Doubt it.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Ouch, that's just a plain ole' GF4 too. :O

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
                      Ouch, that's just a plain ole' GF4 too. :O
                      to make it even worse its a Ti 4400

Comment

with current games the parhelia won't be faster than a GF4
                        not even with unreal2

why , one word : pixelfillrate

the most important thing for those games is fillrate, because they don't use anything else (maybe the vertex shader)

All games will run fast enough on the parhelia though

and maybe it will be faster if a game will use 4 textures like kreed (the russian game )
                        Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

Hey, maybe the Parhelia will tear up the competition as soon as all the new wireframe only games come out!

Comment

Originally posted by CaineTanathos
                            with current games the parhelia won't be faster than a GF4
                            not even with unreal2

why , one word : pixelfillrate

the most important thing for those games is fillrate, because they don't use anything else (maybe the vertex shader)

So then the O/C'ing results are all the more important on these chips.. if they O/C well they could close the gap, if they don't well the same average performance on games that don't take advantage of the P's specail features...

anyone find a way to O/C??

Craig
                            1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

if they start using the pixelshaders and vertexshaders then the parhelia will be much much faster.

take a look at the sharkmark from matrox

Comment

Working...
                              X