fault tolerance on LCD displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fault tolerance on LCD displays

I once had a list for Philips LCD displays which mentions what the allowed errors were (number of dead pixels/hot pixels/... before replacement was considered).

Are there such lists on the net for various manufacturers ? (I remember from the Philips list that cheapers displays were allowed to have more faults).

Thanks !

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

As far as I'm concerned, ANY dead pixels is grounds for replacement during the first month or two. That's why I buy my displays locally, or from Monitors Direct (Cornerstone).

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Yes, I agree with you; but therefore it would be interesing to know the company's policy. I have found the Philips list and scanned it (it dates back to December 2001).

It is stated that in order to qualify for repair/replacement, the "acceptable levels" must no longer be satisfied.

Jörg
      Attached Files
      pixar

Comment

Yeah, there are reasons not to go with Philips. This is one of them.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Each and every company has such a definition of what is acceptable or not, and as a consquence what entitles you to a replacement/refund.
          If your local supplier accepts to replace an LCD because of 1 dead pixel, then lucky you. But NO manufacturer will agree on a replacement in such a situation.
          Using such a list of acceptable defects as an argument not to go with Philips is simply stupid and stating it is dishonest.
          And no, I am not connected to Philips whatsoever, nor do I use Philips LCD's.
          I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
          If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

Whow, nice cat !!!

Comment

Michael,

Incorrect. Cornerstone will glady take back a monitor, ANYTIME in the warranty period, for a single dead pixel. No questions asked. A new one will be on your doorstep within a day or two.

Viewsonic has a similar policy. So does Samsung now. More and more monitor manufacturers are adopting it... but only the good ones, apparently.

- Gurm

Comment

Well, it seems their definition of "acceptable" is more to our liking. My original question was actually: where can the fault-acceptance levels be found for different LCD-manufactures ?

Just for the record, I will state again that this list dates back to December 2001, so Philips policy might have changed...

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

Gurm,
                  Well it seems this kind of policy is still not in effect all over europe.
                  But this is good news indeed.
                  By the way, sorry for overreacting, I don't know what went through my head there.
                  Maybe a bit too much beer?
                  I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
                  If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

Working...
                  X