No announcement yet.

Amazon.com question (never used it...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon.com question (never used it...)

I'm not sure if this the right forum...

Has anyone here in Europe have experiences with ordering things from Amazon.com (not the UK, French or German site) ?

Any particular loopholes I should be aware of ?

I'm thinking about ordering a Viking 256 MB Compact flash card, the price difference with cards here in Belgium is huge (price on Amazon for the Viking is about half the price here for a non-branded card).

Thanks !

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Some time ago (over a year ago actually) I ordered books and DVDs from Amazon.com.

It took a while but everything arrived here (Israel) very well wrapped with no problems what so ever.

Never ordered electronics though.

Comment

Another vote for no problems with books (albeit .co.uk), but never bought electronics.

Will you not have to pay tax on it though?
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Probabely, but it still remains cheaper (even with tax and delivery cost !)...

Besides, I'm sure of being able to buy a known brand; whereas here brands are hard to find (if you find them, they are more expensive), and the non-branded cards often don't perform as well... (there is quite a speed difference between CF-cards)

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

I've bought books,cd's and a camera from Amazon,they have about the best setup of anyone out there.
          Their shipping is very good,their communication with customers is excellent and their prices are good.

Comment

The question was directed toward European users Alfie.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Just be careful, they sell your info to anybody and everybody.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                Just be careful, they sell your info to anybody and everybody.
                If so, I haven't seen any repercussions from this. I've bought CDs from them over the last couple years and I haven't been spammed, except from them. Have you got something to back up that claim Wombat?
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

All your information belongs to them, even if you earlier opted out, they "fixed" that for you. This article has a summary: http://www.komotv.com/news/story.asp?ID=11371

So, Amazon hasn't <I>yet</I> done anything with your info, except give it to subsidiaries, but they reserve the ability to sell it when needed. I should have been more precise.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I've sold things on Amazon and haven't gotten spam.

If you're buying on Amazon Marketplace, ask the seller if he can ship it Global Priority Mail for a flat rate. I do this for free for my overseas customers. Much faster than surface (boat) shipping.

Comment

I recall the hoopla over that now Wombat. I'll have to look into this more to see if there's any recourse since they already have my info.

Comment

Well, I ordered a CF-card. Not from Amazon.com (they don't ship to Europe, due to warranty constraints; the European Amazon sites are just as expensive as local stores), but from powerinnumbers (http://www.powerinnumbers.com.au , I read a lot of good comments on them on digital photography forums). The card was ordered last thursday, and arrived today !

(seems that my first online purchase was a succes )

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

Working...
                        X