RocketRAID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RocketRAID

Is there anyone having experience with Rocketraid controllers from Highpoint ?

As a leading company in RAID storage solutions, HighPoint Technologies, Inc. develops and manufactures connectivity solutions for professional and industrial clients.

JSB

The RocketRaid uses the HPT372 chip, which I beleive is a ATA133 version of the old and frequently loathed HPT370, as found on many a motherboard with onboard RAID.
    I've had quite a few problems with my mobo's HPT370 RAID and have gone back to non-raid disks. There are many people around here that will curse Highpoint until they're blue in the face.

My advice? Try a Promise controller. You dont hear so many complaints about them.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I've had no experience with the latest Highpoint controllers so cannot really comment on those.
      However past experience has told me to stick with Promise.

I purchased a cheap & chearful HPT370 based RAID controller and had nothing but problems.
      I then purchased a Promise Fasttrak 100 (Currently using a Fasttrak TX2) and they have been beautiful pieces of kit.
      Certainly more expensive, but not by a major amount and I strongly agree that you get what you pay for as far as RAID controller are concerned.
      Last edited by Paulr; 4 July 2002, 15:43.
      It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
      Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

The latest HPT controllers are less terrible than the earlier ones.

Kind of like Neo-Nazis are less terrible than the real Nazis were.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          The latest HPT controllers are less terrible than the earlier ones.

Kind of like Neo-Nazis are less terrible than the real Nazis were.

- Gurm
          LMAO!!
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

highpoint

I had a highpoint controller for all of 12 hours. I used it, realized it was horrible, and now im running an Adaptec 2400A with 4 120s in a RAID 0. Works like a charm....

the highpoints are cheap in price, but their quality and performance reflects that.
            -mungu

"She won't last forever, so why buy her diamonds?"

Comment

I totally agree with mungu's evaluation of Highpoint products.

YECCHHHH....

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I guess that Highpoint only calls it RAID because you need to spray the stuff to get the bugs out.
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

eYup and instead of spraying they beat on it with the can!
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Don't worry, when the drives are available Promise will be there

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Promise has never failed to bring cards out when needed. I just wonder if their add-on card will be able to handle CD-ROMs? THey might not be out for a while though.

Comment

the latest low end promise cards have been causeing some problems....mainly with via chipsets mainly.

As for me I am quite happy with my highpoint HPT370...the one integrated on an epox 8kta3+. Initialy I had problems, but epox released an updated bios which has it hummingly quite nicely.

I think performance and price wise it compares very well to the low end promise raid controllers.

I am basing my opinion of simple RAID 0 striping, which is not really RAID anyway, I would quite happily buy another higpoint for personal use(striping and extra IDE channels), But I would never consider it for a server

Asbestos suit on....

Comment

Marshmallowman

I agree with you there. Had the oportunity to drive both the HPT370/372 PCI jobs (Iwill flavour) and compare them with the Fastrack100/TX2, and could find no reason not to use the Highpoints. I have about 40 out in the field on customers boxes doing video editing - not a single failure yet, not a complaint yet.

I will suit up now as well I suppose
                          Lawrence

Comment

Whatever issues are brought on by Promise cards in VIA systems is just a case of the messenger being blamed for the contents of the envelope

The problem is that RAID's are high PCI bandwidth devices and VIA chipsets are notorious for not having a lot of PCI bandwidth to spare.

BTW Marshmallowman: The definition of RAID you're basing your statement that RAID0 striping isn't really RAID is outdated.

By most all accounts RAID0 is now considered by manufacturers and the computing press to be a member of the RAID family and for use when maximum performance is the desired modus operendi, expansion of the acrynym not withstanding.

Striping is a fundamental characteristic of RAID and was defined as such in the original work done by IBM and Berkley. Check the definitions in this history of RAID under "Data Striping" and "Standard Levels of RAID";

All RAID modes are based drive concatenation, AKA: striping. The only distinctions between types are a matter of if the writes are interleaved or not (JBOD vs. RAID0 etc) and if the mode has data redundency (RAID0 doesn't; RAID 1, 3 & 5 do, but by differing methods).

Some newer RAID modes are actually arrays consisting of other arrays, but that's beside the point.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 July 2002, 00:02.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

yeah, I know Dr M

but as the RAID acronym =redundant array of inexpensive disks
                              I find a bit disconcerting, because RAID0 ain't redundant...but point taken all the same

as a via user(ex-user soon), its an issue....but apparently its been fixed anyways..

but I still think the higpoint 370's and above are good inexpensive RAID controllers.

and I don't like the way promise use the same card for a RAID controller and Ultra dma card, but use differnt firmware and charge twice the amount for it.

PS does the resistor and firmware trick still work for the 133 cards like it used to work for the 66 and 100 cards?

Comment

Working...
                              X