Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia and Everquest?

Just wondering if anyone had tried yet.

I'm also interested how Parhelia runs in EQ.

Comment

It works.

Thats the short answer.

The long answer is that there are a few strange graphical bugs in some zones which I suspect are a combination of immature drivers and the piss-poor 3d engine that EQ uses. Most zones are fine, but some of the luclin zones and a few of the more hilly zones you can see through the ground and the zone walls if you look at them at the right angle. Also, whenever something gets too close to your point of viewing (as in, right in front of your face), you get all sorts of crazy stuff, which let me tell you, if you are playing a melee character is a bitch cause everytime you swing it goes crazy.

This isn't to say that it's all bad, I'm sure these bugs will get fixed in time, and the performance is pretty damn good, I can run with all luclin models on and full spell graphics with great framerates in any place other than really densely populated area's (raids, bazaar).

I'll try and upload some screenshots when I get home this evening if anyone cares.

Ian
      Primary System:
      MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
      120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
      Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
      Seccondary System:
      Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
      3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
      Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
      Tertiary system
      Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
      Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Yup, the only problem I've had is the aforementioned bug where you can kinda see through the ground if you turn to the right angle. Happens consistently at the Dreadlands wizzy spires due to "hill country", but I haven't had it happen on Velious yet. I can't stand Luclin (even if it is the server I play on), so I haven't been up there yet with my Parhelia. I haven't seen any corruption when something is in my face, but in time I may -- it's only been one evening.

That having been said, if you guys are true EQ players you'll know that nothing ever works 100 percent . My video is now smooth as silk with all my settings maxed, and the colours themselves are nothing short of amazing. Red text sears your eyeballs, and the autumn-colours trees in DL are so many different shades of colour now you just wanna stand there and look at 'em. Also, you have to get your face to within half an inch of the monitor to see any sort of jagged lines on things like wizard spires or mountain slopes. All of this makes up for the occasional graphical hiccup, and Matrox seems to be working hard to support their drivers with any game, so I can see this clearing up soon.

The card's a winner. Not perfect, but definitely a winner.

Comment

Just so you know, I tested the new UI on the test server and EQ almost perfectly supports triplehead. All three monitors are evenly porportioned, its smooth at 3072x768 and no graphical glitches. It however has a slight magnification on the view ahead. But not much.

For example a moss snake in normal view looks to be 6ft away, in Triplehead it may look to be 4ft.

Comment

Snake, are you saying that EQ is totally supported in TH, as in regular 1st person view to PvP etc., with the new GUI?

Comment

Jeez, now the wife is gonna have to let me buy two more monitors. Still playing EQ on the P and it's working like a hot damn -- HedsSpaz is right, though, there is some weirdness when you get too close to an object. I posted about it on the Matrox forums, and they're aware of the problem and working on a fix.

Comment

Yeah. I dont know if its offically supported or if Matrox even knows about it but it worked fine for me. They are upgrading the new UI to support many resolutions along with many graphical enhancements to the interface.

I was given the option for 2400x600, 3072x768 and 3840x1024. 3840x1024 was max TH resolution supplied and they all worked fine.

So to answer your real question, yes it supplied alot of viewing space. Definately an advantage for PvP and great to have if your a crowd control type character that needs to be more aware of your surroundings.

Btw, like I said before it ran smooth at 3072x768 @32bit w/ 16x FAA and max everything. (Although EQ isnt all that graphically intense anyways)
                Last edited by Snakebitten; 16 July 2002, 13:39.

Comment

Really? Well, thats news, I'll have to log on to test tonight and see what it looks like. I've checked out the new UI, but since I don't play on test it was mostly just a for fun thing, and it was before I got my Parhelia. On the upside the new UI is going live next week in a stage 2 beta. Looking forward to being able to use it in normal play.

BTW, what servers do you guys play on? I'm on Innoruuk.

Ian
                  Primary System:
                  MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                  120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                  Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                  Seccondary System:
                  Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                  3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                  Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                  Tertiary system
                  Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                  Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Luclin here, and the wife is away this weekend so I'll be stealing her monitor (there's 3 total in the house) and creating a n00b on test

Comment

Would one of you Parhelia TH equipped guys consider please posting a few EQ surround gaming screen shots please?

Regards,

Daven

Comment

EQ Triplehead pics

Here are some pics of EQ in Triplehead. Like I mentioned before, first person is slightly zoomed in but definately playable. If you zoom out and go third person (F9), it looks normal and actually pretty good. Nothing looks streched out on the sides like Jedi Knight II. All angles/monitors look equally porportioned. Just the zoom in when in triplehead.

The first two screenshots are normal 1024x768 and than 3072x768. I didnt move in either of the screenshots but as you can see it zoomed in.

Here is some "F9" views:

Not bad for such an old game. I really hope triplehead in SWG is absolutely optimized for it like Matrox claims it will.

Looks like EQ will support it. It does a pretty good job of it considering its such an old engine and not "optimized" or stated to be supported by either company.
                        Last edited by Snakebitten; 17 July 2002, 12:59.

Comment

Ugh... female trolls. I've got a 51st bard on Prexus btw.

Comment

Of course we're aware that Everquest works in triplehead however it's not supporting Surround Gaming yet as you can see since you are zoomed in too much. Once we worked with SOE on a zoom out or adjustable fov then of course it will be fully supported. Keep them coming folks, try any game you see that works in triplehead cos you never know there might be a hidden command to adjust the fov or zoom out in it

Regards,
                            "The opinions or comments expressed by me do not necessary reflect those of Matrox Graphics Inc."

Comment

In that case R0M, Max Payne uses triplehead but its streched out so much that the character Max Payne looks to be 400 pounds. Just thought I'd bring it up, any idea if this is a game being worked on to be supported down the road?

Comment

Working...
                              X