Driver Stability Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver Stability Question

I'm new to Matrox cards (but not computers). I have a couple of systems that came with "alternate" cards (namely an ATi Radeon 8500 and a VisionTek GeForce 2 MX400).

Image quality is o.k., but especially with the ATi, I've had a couple of applications tank. I do a lot of work with Photoshop, along with CD creation (use Cool Edit 2000, which seems to have a "distaste" for ATi drivers - this is the applic that crashes). Not much for games anymore (unless it's one of the LucasArts Jedi Knight series of games)

Are there any known problems/issues with Matrox drivers? i.e. Known incompatabilities or things to I should be aware of?

I know Matrox has a great reputation for image quality, which is why I'm looking to a G550 for Photoshop use.

Thanx!

Thought for the day - Work is for people who don't know how to surf.

I have experienced some minor driver/BIOS issues with the G450 and certain professional apps (particularly Microstation), but overall I have found the Matrox drivers to be about the best for both stability and compatibility. In many cases I have replaced cards from other vendors wth Matrox cards, to eliminate those sorts of problems.

No drivers are perfect, but I'd say the Matrox drivers are as close to it as you'll find at the moment. ATI drivers are notorious for these sorts of problems, and I haven't been too hapy with NVidia drivers either. They are useable, but not in the same league......

Comment

Matrox drivers are excellent for anything that uses DirectX, no bug whatsoever.
      However, Open GL ICD is another story, with the Gxxx series at least.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeul
        Matrox drivers are excellent for anything that uses DirectX, no bug whatsoever.
        However, Open GL ICD is another story, with the Gxxx series at least.
        Hey JACKASS what part of "I do a lot of work with Photoshop, along with CD creation (use Cool Edit 2000, which seems to have a "distaste" for ATi drivers - this is the applic that crashes). Not much for games anymore (unless it's one of the LucasArts Jedi Knight series of games) " don't you understand?

Sheesh, you must have OD'ed on stupid pills or something

Rags

Comment

The G550 is excellent for PhotoShop I never had any problems with the G400, G450 or the G550.

Paul
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Ditto
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X