Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are you using for ADSL firewall/routing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are you using for ADSL firewall/routing?

I ask because of the problem in my other thread: http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34238

BT customers in particular, how are you doing it? I'm looking for the cheapest way of fixing this problem of the ADSL modems generally being USB and the routers generally being Ethernet.

Could I use an Ethernet/USB adapter between the two? It would need to provide power as the modem is USB powered.

TIA

Tony.
    FT.

I setup a LAN at work using a PC as firewall/router and a cheap HUB serving another 8 PCs. We've switched now to a rather expensive (£400) combined modem/router with VPN support.

I would simply stick the USB modem on one PC, stick an Ethernet card in it, enable Internet connection sharing and get a cheap HUB to feed the LAN.

Comment

I use an Asus modem/router with NAT enabled connected to a d-link switch this works great and give the option of placing a server in betwwenthe router and the switch.

Breezer
      Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Wow, I never saw a broadband modem that didn't have an ethernet port.

My guess is they're specifically making them that way to thwart attempts at sharing the line among other computers (there are ways around that of course but it does make the set up more complicated.

However, after searching the web, I found this:
        404: Page Not Found We cannot find the page you are looking for. Please click here to return home We have recently updated our website, so your link may be outdated Click here for our Product Range Click here for our Support Portal

DrayTek Vigor 2200 series Router (firewall)

The version 2200USB has a "USB-port for connecting to USB ADSL modem to share broadband Interface"

Good luck,
        [Ch]ams

Comment

Of course, you can always get a new modem, like this one:

Comment

I still use a PC as a firewall/router (Nat32) w/dual nics to a hub feeding my network.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Many people like using Linksys Router/Switches - not only can you get multiple computers up and running, but you get firewalling because it uses NAT.

If you DON'T want NAT, you could... err... well, let's be honest - you don't really need a software firewall. We've all been over this before. They're useless. Firewalls in general are useless, 'cuz unless you're a monkey your machine won't (can't) be hacked anyhow.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

I knew that post was coming from Gurm Somewhat more gently put than in the past too - I'm impressed

In this instance the RP114 will be (or would have been) very useful as it will allow easy sharing, let my friend control the internet activity of his children, and get email reports on their browsing activity. Sure it can all be done other ways, but this (but for the lack of a damn ethernet port on the BT supplied modem) is very simple & convenient.

Which way we jump now depends on what you guys come up with and if any of the hardware can be returned/sold.

Cheers

T.
                FT.

Comment

Hehe, thanks I think.

A broadband router would DEFINITELY be the best solution if you want to do sharing. A Linksys model is around $100 and supports spoofing of MAC addresses - so you don't have to deal with the ISP.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Telia, the company in sweden that virtualy owns your soul IF you want a land line phone (They own the accesnet).

Started with Nokia(and when people put paper on their ADSL modems and it cought fire) they switched to Alcatel..

Nowday they recomend the dlink d200 USB ADSL modem. (Wich you aotomagicaly gets if you don't bitch scream and threaten)
                    They charge as much for the Dlink as they did for the alcatel ....

And Even Dlinks swedish Suportline admits that it (Theur USB modem)don't work as good as they would want
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Tony,

I use the Vigor 2200USB and it works a treat. It's been used with the standard Alcatel frog and the Fujitsi 310 with no problems.

Comment

My machine is used as the ICS machine when I'm at my friend's place. His Mac and O2 can go out onto the net through it. I enable XP's firewall on the Alcatel USB connection
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

linux firewall/gateway through to a netgear switch, but recently switched to a dlink-804.

linux is more flexible, but the dlink does everything that I require, and takes up less room plus I get the extra switched ports.

I use the ethernet speedtouch modem provide by my telco, they have since gone to USB.

Routers save space and are convient, just make sure they support everything you require. eg voice over IP.
                          ,VPN,PPTP,PPOE and support for exposing any ports you require for servers(ftp,www,filesharing...etc)

a linux box WILL do everthing you require(and work with a USB modem) but will take up more room and be a bit noiser(maybe)

Comment

My NAT gateway is detailed here and here

I also run Ethernet from my Gateway PC to the Toshiba Cable Modem, but have the option of running USB.

My machine is waaaay over kill for what I actually do with it, but it is nice to know it is fairly bulletproof.
                            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

OT: Has anyone got am alcatel speedtouch usb working with Linux?
                              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                              X