I have a problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a problem...

After the sucessful upgrading of my brother's computer with a powerleap PL-iP3/T, I decided to try the same with mine. So, I installed my new iP3/T1400 into my ASUS P2B-LS rev1.02 mobo, connected everything corectly and when I turn on the system, the system does not post, and nothing appears on the screen. After checking that everything was correctly attached, I went through the checklist PowerLeap provided. I reseated the cpu. I switched the power connector to an unshared plug. I manually set the fsb jumper. I tried setting the voltage to the "default" 1.5V. Nothing worked. I put my old PII 400 back in and the system booted normally. I verified that my BIOS was the latest from the German ASUS site. When I emailed sales before I bought the cpu, they said the 1.4Ghz was compatible with my mobo. Any suggestions of can I do to get this to work? I've been on the tech support, but they are being very slow getting back to me.

Thanks for any suggestions you guys might have.

MadScot
    Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

have you tried your iP3/T1400 in your brothers computer?

Comment

I think it has to do with the CPU voltage.

I know my P2B-DS has problems with all CPUs newer than Celeron 533(?) because it doesn't recognise the voltage request signal (?) or something so it simply doesn't post.

Edit: you have rev 1.02 it's one of the oldest, you'd need one of the latest ones to use newer CPUs. Mine is 1.04 and anything below 1.06 (for the P2B-DS) stops at P-II 450 / Celeron 533/566

Comment

The iP3/T has an onboard voltage regulator, so it should work in the older boards. I'm just wonderig if there is anything obvious that I'm missing. I will try the cpu in my brothers sys when I get a chance. Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just wait for the slow tech support.

MadScot
        Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

Have you checked the settings on the adapter?
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yeah, I tried forcing the fsb detection to 100mhz and I tried several voltage settings. Is there anything I need to change on the mobo? The multiplier is locked on the cpu, so I dont need to mess with the jumpers on the mobo, right?

MadScot

Comment

According to some Usenet posts I've seen (admitedly not the best source of inforation) the P2B (all of them) have issues with multipliers of 10.5, through to 12, but 13 is OK again. Maybe worth looking into.
              MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Glad you went with my suggestion on the PowerLeap MadScot but you got the wrong CPU. You should have gotten the 1.3. Most everyone's had problems with the 1.4. This AVS thread talks about this.
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

xortam, thanks for the link. I guess I was a week too late to get the 1.3Ghz. I emailed PowerLeap and asked if the 1.4 would work before I bought it, and they insisted it would. Today I got an email from their marketing list advertising the 1.4 and SAYING IT WAS COMPATIBLE WITH ALL P2B MOTHERBOARDS!!!!!! Needless to say, I am very interested to hear back from tech support! Maybe they had a bad batch of CPUs. Whatever the reason, I am glad to know I am not alone! Thank you for your help.

MadScot

Comment

The folks I know that tried the 1.4 were able to return it for a 1.3, no problem. This may be a problem now if they've indeed stopped shipping the 1.3.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

The annoying thing is PowerLeap told me it would work, and then after I sent them an email about the probs, this is what I recieved today. I guess no one told marketing .

MadScot

Comment

So he basically like a good little little peon believed what he was told by someone/some company that wanted him to sell something for them. The #$%^*&() should take it back since he told you that it would work. He should have at least sent you that beforehand. Reminds me of the smucks that sent me a DVD-ROM drive that had no LEDs or jacks and said that is what refurbished meant. I was on a very small budget at the time. I'll never do that again.

BTW, which bios version do you have?

Asus P2B ONLY 1.3T (w/BIOS Upgrade) ,850C,700P3,800P3,850P3
                        Asus P2B-B ONLY 1.3T (w/BIOS Upgrade)
                        Asus P2B-D 850P3 (w/BIOS Upgrade) (dual)
                        Asus P2B-DS 850P3 (w/BIOS Upgrade) (dual,single)
                        Asus P2B-F ONLY 1.3T (w/BIOS Upgrade)
                        Asus P2B-L ONLY 1.3T (w/BIOS Upgrade)
                        Asus P2B-LS ONLY 1.3T (w/BIOS Upgrade) ,800P3,850P3
                        Asus P2B-S ONLY 1.3T (w/BIOS Upgrade) 700P3,750P3,800P3,850P3

Edit:
                        To figure out what the symbols mean, just add two four letter words together.

Comment

MadScot ... did you check their compatibility list before you ordered the part? Too bad some sales person gave you bad info. I'm sure they'll take back your kit. What else do they have available if you can't get a 1.3?

P.S. High_Jumbllama, FYI, the transliteration is "Schmucks".
                          Last edited by xortam; 2 July 2002, 22:06.

Comment

Well, the good news is PowerLeap have a good return policy, so if they are "Schmucks" I will only be out shipping. Basically, I sent them an email before I ordered the part saying that the compatibility list only lists the 1.3 as compatible, and since they dont list the 1.3 for sale anymore and maybe the list hadnt been updated yet for the 1.4, would the 1.4 work? They said yes, which they seemed to believe. I just heard back from tech support that oops, they were wrong, maybe they'll find a 1.3 if they can, blah blah blah... If they dont, I may just toss in the towell and wait till I upgrade the entire thing. Oh well...

MadScot

Comment

Stick them for the shipping as well if you decide to simply return the kit. Show them your E-Mail correspondence and they should come through with a full refund.

Comment

Working...
                              X