cigarette tax........ugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cigarette tax........ugh

NEW YORK (July 1) - New Yorkers already pay $5 for a cappuccino and have been known to fork over $12 for a martini. But there was plenty of grumbling from smokers Monday as they began paying more than $7 for a pack of cigarettes.

``Ten years ago I said I would never pay $5 for a pack of cigarettes, but if it's something that you want to do, you'll find a way to do it,'' Rochelle Frederick, 43, said as she lit up a Merit. The pack cost her $7.50.

It costs so much because New York City has bumped its per-pack tax from 8 cents to $1.50. It was a nasty blow to smokers, who were just getting used to a state tax increase of $1.50 per pack that took effect in May.

New Yorkers now pay double the national average for cigarettes.

``I might have to actually start investigating other avenues to get my fix,'' said Tony McHugh, 34, as he puffed a Camel and sipped coffee with a pack of smokers during a morning break. ``It's going to hurt a lot but it won't cause me to quit.''

McHugh, who smokes a pack a day, shook his head when asked how much he spent on cigarettes before the tax hike. With the increase, he will burn more than $2,500 a year on cigarettes.

``Ay caramba - I told you not to tell me that,'' McHugh said when he heard the figure.

The tax is expected to generate an additional $111 million this year for the city, which is trying to close a $5 billion budget gap. With a new fiscal year beginning Monday, the city also instituted new fees for cell phones and parking violations, and eliminated glass and plastic from its recycling program.

Other states have bumped their cigarette taxes this year, including: New Jersey (70 cents per pack), Vermont (49 cents) and Illinois (40 cents). A 69-cents-per-pack increase will begin July 15 in Pennsylvania, more than tripling the 31-cent tax.

New Jersey and New York state both levy $1.50 per pack, behind only Washington state.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and other lawmakers say they hope the higher prices will encourage more smokers to quit. But critics said smokers will simply buy inexpensive cigarettes over the Internet, in nearby states or from American Indian reservations.

Many smokers said they felt unfairly targeted by lawmakers, who they said can get away with taxing cigarettes because the habit is no longer socially acceptable.

Becky Rabinowitz, 59, rolled her eyes and imitated nonsmokers who wrinkle their noses and wave away the smoke from her Misty Menthol Lights as they walk by her office building.

``Why do the smokers have to be penalized?'' said Rabinowitz, who has smoked for more than 40 years. ``There are other taxes they could be raising that they aren't.''
    www.lizziemorrison.com

Why make it illegal . . .

Why make it illegal, when you can try and tax it out of existence or at least make a lot of money off it? The government did learn something from prohibition.

Comment

Stop smoking then.

Comment

That's why I only smoke what I can RoLl myself
        I'm with the ugly guy below me

(It's amazing how many threads I kill with that line )

Comment

It's a good excuse to quit. They should make it a federal tax and extend it to indian reservations too.

Comment

Well what happens in this country is that people load up the vans and get cheaper cigs from over the channel.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Maybe they'll have a Boston Cigarette Party someday....
              System Specs:
              Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
              May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
              Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
              And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
              just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
              For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

First off, why should only the smokers be responsible for paying this tax? That's discrimination.

Why not tax something that affects everyone. This way the Municipality, state, country raise more money and the hike isn't as high. I'm sure it has nothing to do with health reasons and the fact they want people to stop smoking. If it was that simple, they would find a way. Rather, knowing how strong an addictions cigarettes are, they prefer to capitalize on this addiction. They know that people will continue to buy cigarettes. It's like picking up all the addicted gamblers in a bus and driving them to Vegas. Then you give them each $100.00 knowing they'll gamble their bank account away.
                #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
                people do all day!"

Comment

i heard they either have a plan to start taxing alcohol more.. or they already have started.. i'm not sure.. i'll have to find it..

anyway...
                  its just there way of saying.. Hey.. no one in this country should smoke or drink.. so we can be a goodiegoodie country..my thoughts on that are all 'BLAH' !!!!!!!!!!

and who said i smoked anyway...

i just think its totally wrong the way the high up ppl in this country think.
                  Last edited by Lizzard[MPE]; 2 July 2002, 05:55.
                  www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Originally posted by Strahd
                    First off, why should only the smokers be responsible for paying this tax? That's discrimination.

Why not tax something that affects everyone.
                    Well the problem being is that Smoking Effects everyone. Second hand smoke causes Cancer in non-smokers. People who have smoke have a higher rate of cancer then non-smokers and this drives up the cost of health care in the USA (where we dont have a subsitized health care system like the rest of the world, which has its good and bad points to it, but out the scope of this topic). I have no quams with people paying more to slowly kill themselfs off...helps off set the costs to me and will maybe make them think twice about quiting to save money. I remember my old man was bitching about paying close to a dollar a pack on Cigs in the ealy 80s before he quit...how much are they now? $5 bucks a pack?
                    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

oh fanboy shut up. lol

they have already set laws in a lot of states sayin that you arent allowed to smoke in public places
                      www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Are people considered goodiegoodie just because they don't drink or smoke?
                        Of course it's discrimination! It's a guaranteed profit for the city/state. Tax something like fruits and people will start buying vegetables, plus you lose your reelection. Tax something like cigarettes and you make the city money and keep your job.

Basic sin tax strategy.

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzard[MPE]
                          oh fanboy shut up. lol

they have already set laws in a lot of states sayin that you arent allowed to smoke in public places
                          Good! And may it extend to all public areas all over the world!

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                            Are people considered goodiegoodie just because they don't drink or smoke?

Jammrock
                            hmmm.. probably not no.. but could you imagine America (home of the free.. mind you)with nobody drinking or smoking?
                            i could live without alcohol.. but boy would i just be bored sometimes. and a cig after sex.. a lot of our society does still do that..there shudnt be a penalty.
                            www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Originally posted by BuddMan
                              Maybe they'll have a Boston Cigarette Party someday....

haha
                              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Working...
                              X