Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BT adsl modem is USB - are there any affordable ethernet modems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BT adsl modem is USB - are there any affordable ethernet modems?

A friend is setting up BT's broadand ADSL service. I advised him to get a hardware firewall/router, which he did (Netgear RP114).
    Now his modem has arrived, it seems it only has USB, no ethernet option! After a trawl through the various shopping sites I haven't found any affordable ethernet modems. Surely they must exist? The routers are designed for dsl or cable.

Any suggestions please?

T.
    FT.

Thanks Ayoub, that's a useful site. That DrayTek device is rather expensive!

I also found a Samsung Ethernet DSL modem at www.scan.co.uk for £55.23 which I think would replace the BT modem nicely, but I think my friend would rathe replace the router.

Cheers

Tony.
    FT.

Comment

You could always use a scrappy old Pentium PC and a copy of Winroute as your gateway box.

My gateway system runs Winroute Pro 4.1, McAffee AntiVirus (Vers 6) and Zonealarm on Windows98 using a Pentium120, with 128mb ram and two network cards (I'm using an ethernet cable modem)
      Its too damn slow to do just about anything else on, but it works fine as a gateway box.
      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion RichL. but it's not very practical for him to do that.

This was all so simple with cable connections!

I've started another thread with a better title.

Cheers

T.
        FT.

Comment

Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Sigh!

Tony! I know it's my fault for not checking this thread that you referenced in your other thread, but yeesh! I just wasted 15 minutes (I'm on dial up) researching for you a USB router when Ayoub found the same damn thing.

Please keep your related posts in one thread.

-[Ch]ams

Comment

Sorry for the wasted time Chammy, but as you said I did reference this post. I started a new one because (a) there were very few replies to this and (b) I am surprised at USB being used and with there being so many of us old timers on here shareing broadband I wanted to know how they do it, which is a different question.

Thanks for taking the trouble anyway.

Tony.
              FT.

Comment

What model is his modem? A lot of "USB" modems are actually ethernet cards inside, with little adapters to make them USB.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Wombat - it's the Alcatel Speedtouch USB. I got this snippet from ADSLguide.org.uk:

Can I use a USB to Ethernet adapter to connect the [Alcatel] USB modem to my network?

With the current adapters you cant, the USB modem is the DSL equivalent of a WinModem and requires some processor power to perform the modem functions and convert the ATM data into TCP/IP for presentation to the PC. There is a Draytek device however which can effetively act as a router and presents ethernet to the user side.
                  FT.

Comment

Working...
                  X