Parhelia and Via chipsets???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia and Via chipsets???

I haven't really been following Matrox since I bagged my G400, because I failed to get it working with my Asus A7V133 mobo.

Is it too early to ask, or does anybody know of any issues with the P and via chipsets?

Even though the card hasn't benchmarked as well as I had hoped, i'd say it's more than efficient to support my very little gaming use. And apart from games... how many FPS do you need to run ICQ!!

Please tell me I can scrap my GF2 and go back to Matrox without replacing my mobo....
    Last edited by Chris B; 1 July 2002, 03:59.
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Works great in my Asus A7V333 (Via KT333 chipset) and also in my Epox 8K7A+ (Via KT266 chipset) boards!

Comment

My G400's (MAX and non-MAX, both very first Rev.) worked both fine in my A7V133, it was the only component that worked flawlessly on this mobo (VIA-Chipset... ).

So maybe the board is defective or you should try a newer BIOS.

Good luck!
      main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

I never had a problem with Matrox running A7V133. My G400 runs flawlessly, the same with G550.
        Nor any other HW had problem
        main: Athlon XP-M 830~1830Mhz (on the fly) | 512MB DDR | Gigabyte GA-7VAX | 40+60GB Barracuda IV | AOpen FSP300-60PN PSU | Chieftec DX-01B BlackMidi
        display: Matrox G400HPE DualHead | 17" iiyama VM Pro 411 | 17" ADI F720
        sound: Terratec EWS88 D | External DAC + Gilmore HeadAmp
        stuff: 1GB ext. SCSI/USB Iomega JAZ | 18x12" Summasketch III Professional tablet | Primax Colorado 600P scanner | etc.

Comment

I've had various graphics related issues with VIA chipsets all of which have been rectified by installing up to date VIA drivers. I'm talking Abit mobos here.

Comment

Well apparently I'm just a total headcase then Seems I'm the only one who couldnt' get it working.

Well I'm flashing my bios anyway, cause I'm getting a new CPU, so maybe I'll pull the G400 out of retirement and see if a a new bios was all I needed.

Hope not.. otherwise I wasted 150$ on a damn GF2
            If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Abit MoBos are known to have one of the biggest compatible problems with other HW. I have had meny problems with them, especially with the VIA based.
              main: Athlon XP-M 830~1830Mhz (on the fly) | 512MB DDR | Gigabyte GA-7VAX | 40+60GB Barracuda IV | AOpen FSP300-60PN PSU | Chieftec DX-01B BlackMidi
              display: Matrox G400HPE DualHead | 17" iiyama VM Pro 411 | 17" ADI F720
              sound: Terratec EWS88 D | External DAC + Gilmore HeadAmp
              stuff: 1GB ext. SCSI/USB Iomega JAZ | 18x12" Summasketch III Professional tablet | Primax Colorado 600P scanner | etc.

Comment

I've had trouble getting my G400 to work in 2x APG mode (all it'll do) on my dual PIII on an Asus CUV4X-D (Via 694X). It can work, but I've only managed to do it after a clean install of win2k.
                In other words it's a pain in the butt.
                It got messed up a little while ago after installing some hardware, so I'm just gonna wait for the Parhelia before I mess with it anymore.
                Mike

Comment

Thank you! You just made me feel a whole lot better about myself

Comment

The A7V133 seems to be a little picky with AGP-cards. When I tried a Radeon VE with it, the system needed ten (10!) resets to POST. This issue was solved by disabling jumperless mode, so I had to mess with the DIP-switches, but that was not really a problem.
                    main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Originally posted by sube
                      Abit MoBos are known to have one of the biggest compatible problems with other HW. I have had meny problems with them, especially with the VIA based.
                      Actually, in a comparison of Abit and Asus boards over the last several years I've found Asus to be far more tempermental with respect to hardware compatability, most notably with memory types. I've had no problems with the G400 with VIA chipset boards, its a case of using the proper drivers installed iaw instructions.
                      Office: Giga266A, XP1900+, 1GB PC2100. 80GB Maxtor, Matrox G550 Integraph 21", Sceptre 19"
                      Home:#1.Abit IS7, 512MB OCZ DDR 533, P4C2600 at 3260, LiteOn 411S DVDRW, LiteOn 481248 CDRW,WD 80G ATA100, Audigy, 2X IBM P202, Radeon 9600 Pro as well.
                      #2. TB 1.33G/KR7AR133/512MB PC2100. MSI GF4-4200TI, Maxtor 13.6/40G drives/Ricoh 121032 CDRW, Hitachi 8X DVD, AOpen 52X. etc.
                      #3. P3-700-512MB/BX6R2/GF2MX400/
                      etc. #4,#5 Various P2 with G400, G200.

Comment

I've had no problems with the G400 with VIA chipset boards, its a case of using the proper drivers installed iaw instructions.
                        You're right on this one, but it doesn't help at all if the mobo refuses to boot/POST with a certain card installed.

Cheers,
                        Cart

Comment

Working...
                        X