XP gaming (old games)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP gaming (old games)

I have installed XP to play games one so I can dump W98 (not that I dislike it, rather the other way around).

Installed it and thested ATFGOLD, I was surpriced when it worked albeit without sound.

Then silly little me noticed that I had forgot to install the drivers for my Audigy card.

Installed the drivers but I still got no sound in the game

Checked with an other old DX3 game:
    Ignition from UDS and it has sound but barfs out to the desktop after aprox 1-2 min

Ignition does have a patch for general stability that I will try as soon as I find it.

ATFGOLD is Patched to the latest but has no sound and that really really has me confused on Why??

Any ideas?

For referens: ATFG pukes on W2K whatever compatibility mode is set
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

I don't know what AFT Gold is, but older games (even those that aren't very old) are going to be flakey on WinXP (which you probably already know). Many work fine, but I've got a couple that won't play right and mostly it's the sound that's all messed up.
    To add to that, Creative sound card drivers aren't yet ready to "play nice" with XP. You'll see lots of threads with people having problems when mixing WinXP and Creative drivers.
    I still keep Win98 on my other machine mostly for that reason... so I (and my kids) can play older games.
    Last edited by Beezer; 30 June 2002, 20:57.
    My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Working...
    X