WinXP Startup Processes Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP Startup Processes Question

I'm not quite happy lately with the stability of my WinXP setup -- flakiness of applications. I notice that I have a "butt-load" of processes running at startup. Most of them, I have no idea if they are critical or not, and how do I set XP to NOT load them at startup. One of them I know is useless: MS Messenger... but I can't figure out how to NOT load it at startup.
    Any guidance would be appreciated.
    My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Longform features discussing tech culture, computing history, and exploring the latest trends in technology, computer hardware and software.

I have another link somewhere that's a tad bit better...

Comment

There it is:

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the links. That's what I was looking for.
        My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Black Viper is cool. His list is QUITE good.

Additionally, go to http://www.tweakxp.com and search for messenger - there's a command-line removal sequence that kills it for good, otherwise it comes back when you do updates. Bleh.

- Gurm

P.S. Additionally, if you have a Creative soundcard, there's a LOT of crap that runs, if you have trouble with it let me know.

The keys you're looking in to kill startup processes (msconfig is NOTORIOUSLY poor at listing them all for some reason) is:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run

and

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run

As well as, of course, the startup folder in your start menu.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Another very good site -- Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
              There it is:
              http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
              Great one!
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Is there an equal list for W2K?

Ehrm.....

Scratch that.....
                Last edited by Technoid; 1 July 2002, 10:49.
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                X