openGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openGL

I would like to know if the Parhellia OPENGL improvements will be available even for my G550 card. Although MATROX claims OPENFL 1.2 support for G550 in 3DSMAX and SISOFT SANDRA 2002 shows only 1.1.3 support. THANKS

PIII 600@672 256RAM G550 2882 In 3dMARK 2000

it's a completely new core so i don't think you should get your hopes up...

Comment

Yeah, I just realized today that my g400 is also 1.1.3 (probably all of the Gxx lines). Apparently, they support some features of 1.2, but not them all-- thus the 1.1.3 designation (just got that from the Matrox tech support forums). I'm not sure if this is a hardware limitation (thus no possible support for 1.2 fully) or just another "feature" of a crappy ICD (thus a small chance full support could be available with a better ICD). My guess is that we will never see full OpenGL 1.2 support for the Gxx series cards. *sigh*

I think it may be time to jettison my g400 for something more current-- man, I hate to get rid of this card, but I would really like something that supports current feature sets more fully (and no, it won't be a P-- can't afford that).
      Last edited by Heed; 29 June 2002, 07:34.
      Thought thinks itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Heed
        Yeah, I just realized today that my g400 is also 1.1.3...
        So how has the lack of 1.2 support affected you if you just determined your G400 doesn't support it?
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Well, it hasn't until this week. I bought Neverwinter Nights which requires an opengl 1.2 compliant vid card. I thought I had one-- I don't. The game runs, but it runs like ass and looks like it. I'm not sure which extensions I'm missing that NWN's uses, but I would like to use them all. I don't game all that much (I hate FPS), but I have been waiting for this one for over 3 years. I probably wouldn't even consider updating the card if it was any other game/program-- but this is an unique case.

So, for the time I have owned the card (almost 3 years) it hasn't affected me. But when it really matters to me (now, for NWN's), it is affecting me greatly. The thing that's a little annoying is that I have known these specs for the game for a long time and thought the card was 1.2 compliant-- if had known it wasn't, I would have upgraded ahead of time (or at least known I would have to).

When I saw the config program for NWN's list my openGL spec as 1.1.3 I searched the Matrox forums and found the answer-- up until now I have had no need for openGL 1.2 (or much in openGL at all).

In short, I found out I need it now and I also found out I don't have it-- that was easier.
          Thought thinks itself.

Comment

Thanks Heed. I guess its time for new HW. Three years isn't bad for the life of a graphics card. I've been running my Max since it was released and I'll probably be running it for a few more months.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
              Thanks Heed. I guess its time for new HW. Three years isn't bad for the life of a graphics card. I've been running my Max since it was released and I'll probably be running it for a few more months.
              I agree-- 3 years is great considering the way product cycles have gone these days. It will be a sad day when the card comes out (but it will be put in a safe place-- I'm sure I'll find a use for it sometime/somewhere).

Unfortunately Matrox doesn't do "budget" versions of their cards. I see that as a plus on the one hand (not fragmenting the product line until it becomes unrecognizable-- *cough* nvidia), but on the other hand I would love to be able to buy a "budget P". I think the 64 megger will still be out of my price range this time around.
              Last edited by Heed; 29 June 2002, 11:10.
              Thought thinks itself.

Comment

I was quite surprised when I saw on my friends RIVA TNT2 OPenGL with 1.3.1 support

Comment

doesn´t opnegl 1.2 support require dot3 bumpmapping and cube enviroment mapping?
                  This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by TDB
                    doesn´t opnegl 1.2 support require dot3 bumpmapping and cube enviroment mapping?
                    I don't believe so, but I'm no openGL expert. Are you sure you aren't thinking about the 2.0 spec?

If the tnt2 can run better than 1.2, then I suspect you might be thinking of 2.0.
                    Thought thinks itself.

Comment

IIRC, The TNT suppots 1.3 too.

Odd, The original TNT is more futureproof than a G400.

It's all about the drivers......Just ask Carmack.
                      C:\DOS
                      C:\DOS\RUN
                      \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Working...
                      X