The more I read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The more I read!

The more I want to buy a parhelia video card!
    AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 processor 3200+
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Edition
    MicroStar K8T Neo-FIS2R MS-6702 System Board
    1GB composed of 2- 512MB DDR400 SDRAM 184-pin DIMMs
    3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
    160GB 7200RPM Ultra ATA/100
    16x DVD-ROM Drive
    4x DVD±R/±RW Drive
    e-GeForce FX 5950 Ultra 256MB DDR VIVO Graphics Card
    Integrated 6 Channel AC'97 Audio CODEC
    56K V.92 PCI Internal Modem
    Realtek Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet Controller
    IIM IEEE 1394 Host Controller- 2 Ports

Same here. I was quite disappointed when the reviews started to come out. But now, after reading lots of reviews, the posts here in MURC and actually every possible thing about the "P", I am starting to understand that this really is a card that nothing else comes even close to.

The price is bad (about €550 here in finland) and there still is some issues including Anisotropic filtering bug and glitches in 16xFAA in some cases, but the drivers are getting better as I write this post. (well not literally, not at this hour, they have to sleep too )

So I am quite sure I'm buying Parhelia after all.
    "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."
    Ken Olson, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

Comment

Dido....
      Fenrir(AVA)
      "Fearlessness is better then a faint-heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors.
      The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago"
      Anonymous lines from For Scirnis

Comment

I couldn't agree more.

I'm gonna wait till the 256 version hits the streets though and see what they have done with it & what price it'll be..
        ( I HAVE to wait - got no money whatsoever for the next few months.. )

/Flyke

Comment

Yeah the more I read the benchmarks arent all that bad in compairson to the comp. I've even noticed a change in the way the P is being reported at [H]...maybe their review they are doing is changing their minds?

Just the price is a bit much to bear...oh well I'm still getting one because I have been elected the Fanboy of MURC LOL
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Yep, and you'd better be using a Matrox network adaptor too
            "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Damn, me too

After the first reviews I was kind of dissapointed and seriously considered buying a 128MB R8500 instead, since it's that much cheaper too.

Now I think I still like that image quality more than raw power (if I didn't I'd have changed my G400 long time ago). 1024x764 with 16XFAA seems mighty fine to me

And I really love the tv-out capabilities, especially the DVDMax so I wouldn't want to give that up just for gaming.

Comment

Anisotropic tap

I am very interested in the Parhelia myself at this time as a replacement for my GF4 Ti4600.

However, I'm waiting to see what happens with the P and anisotropic filtering. Right now the current limit of 16-tap AF is unacceptable to me. I'm far more interested in AF than I am in FAA/FSAA--indeed I don't even use it with my present card as it's much too blurry (2x FSAA is not so bad as far as blurriness goes, but the blurriness is still noticeable, and the nVidia FSAA currently does a terrible job with near vertical and near horizontal lines, and these lines if you'll notice make up a high percentage of the lines you'll see in a given 3D frame.)

But 64-tap (8x) AF makes a profound difference in image quality--more than FSAA, in my opinion, and you've really got to see it to believe it to understand this. I'm very surprised that Matrox has thus far limited the P to 16-tap AF--which is really not competitive on an image-quality basis, as the stated goal for P is image quality over frame rate. Matrox should definitely put this option in and let the users of the P decide when and where to use it.
                I'm uh....C, Walt C.

Comment

I just can'T wait till I have the card in my own hands, I wish it would be in every store now
                  Anyways, as soon as some german online store has it available, I will order it. At the moment it is the only card which would be a good replacement for my Voodoo5 5500 AGP.
                  Specs:
                  MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

I'd also want to have a P. in my future system but the pricing feels a little extreme for me at the moment, the price of the P. 128 @ datorbutiken.se is currently 5015 SEK which is around €560.

Anyway, I wonder how fast the price will drop and how much it'll have dropped until the end of the year...anyone who cares to speculate?
                    I'll buy a new card Soon™, very Soon™!
                    + =

Comment

Originally posted by Znucke
                      ... Anyway, I wonder how fast the price will drop and how much it'll have dropped until the end of the year...anyone who cares to speculate?
                      I'd say zero drop in price this year.
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Znucke... you can get it for 4800 inkl. moms on jmedata.se
                        <font size="-4">User error:
                        Replace user and try again.
                        System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
                        System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
                        </font>

Comment

Working...
                        X