Cannot Transfer Finished Movie to Tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Transfer Finished Movie to Tape

I sure could do with some help please. The problem is in Avid Cinema I cannot successfully transfer a finished movie to tape.

I am using my Misubishi B27 (PAL) VCR, which only has a single SCART, an RF input and an RF output connectivity. I'm using composite RCA cables from the outputs of the Matrox breakout box to a SCART adapter, which is connected into the VCR. I have also a RF cable from the VCR RF output connected into the TV RF input.

The Matrox Quick Check brings up the test pattern on my TV screen, so that should be tuned correctly and my VCR is set to 'EX' for line in.

If I link up my Cam directly to the VCR (avoiding the breakout box) by the same composite RCA cable and SCART adapter with the same VCR & TV settings, I can clearly watch the footage on the TV & successfully record to tape!

System Spec.
    Athlon 500, Gigabyte 7IX AGP Mobo, Matrox G400 Marvel with TV Tuner, Sound Blaster LIVE 1024.
    Matrox Display Settings (both main monitor & TV)
    Dual Head Multi Display
    PAL
    Display driver 4.11.01.1250
    Matrox Power Desk 5.25.019

Thanks in advance,

DavidT,
    I have the same hardware (VCR+TV) combination, single scart RF in/out etc.
    My scart cable is a 6 lead scart: 1 video-in+2 audio-in, 1 video-out+2 audio-out. The DH settings are for 'DualHead Clone Used for DVD Max' when I show MPEG1/2 files or recording from my camcoder (Sony TRV 10E) If the display is set to DualHead Disabled the camcoder continues to work.
    -Try to set the DualHead Disabled,and check if the PAL (Europe) is set. (For me itsometimes, inexplicably jumps over to NTSC.
    -Check the PC-VCR Properties->General->Advanced if the 'PC-VCR window output-Output to video line out' is marked on.
    -Connect the composit leads to the BOB correctly, both the in/out lines and
    -play a tape. If it works then DISconnect the video/audio IN from the BOB and connect your camcoder and try to play.
    -I bypassed the audio over the BOB from the PC to the VCR, because MPEGs caused audio AND video problems. Try to bypass the BOB from camcoder to VCR. It could be a Matrox fault, switching in A/V in PAL.
    Let us know when you solved the problem.
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Fred, I appreciate your sparing the time to reply to my problem.

I presently do not have a composite in/out (6 way) to SCART converter and will either need to purchase one or make one up. I shall try the test suggested, as soon as I can. In addition, I do not have a DVD Drive and I am presuming the 'DH Clone Used for DVDMax' setting does not apply in my case. My present converter is a 3 way composite to SCART.

I am trying to transfer from Avid Cinema to videotape. Unfortunately, Avid Cinema (& PC-VCR Remote) locks up at the 'checking application and system set up' stage, when I try to load it, if the DH is set to 'DualHead Disabled'. If DH is set to 'DH Clone Used for DVDMax', again Avid Cinema locks up at the same stage. It will therefore only load, if the DH is either 'Multi Display' or 'DH Clone Using DH Clone'. In the first instance, I have the Windows logo on my TV and the second instance I have whatever is on my monitor, which is what one would expect. If I record to my VCR, I get the same as my TV screen. This means I can use the DH Clone setting and play back my finished movie full screen in Avid Cinema, set my VCR to record and I have a poor quality recording without sound. I should be able to use the Avid Cinema Transfer to Videotape setting, which is not working.

I have checked the PC-VCR Remote properties and the 'output to video line out' is checked.

If you have any further suggestions, I would appreciate them. Again Fred, thanks for your time.

DavidT

Comment

Hi, DavidT.
        You don't need any DVD Drive to set the dual head for DVD Max.
        In my case I need it for playing and recording MPEG files to VCR-TV (mpeg2 are DVD compatibel). Without this settings I can only show .avi files and videos from my camcoder (it's not a DV Cam)
        Your Composite SCART adapter with 3 connectors must be OK only for OUTPUT, to VCR/TV, as I understand. You've tested it by direct connection of your Cam to it, and it works.
        Did you check the composite cables From your Cam TO the BOBs audio/video Input?
        You can check it by connecting your Cam to the VCR not via the BOB but through your composite adaptor. I mean: Cam -> composite adaptor(that you are using to connect the Cam to BOB input) -> Composite to SCART adaptor -> VCR SCART input. Maybe you need some male/female converter between the two composite cables. Logically, if this setup doesn't work you've find the source of the fault.
        I don't know so much about Avid Cinema. I am using Ulead Madia Studio Pro 6 to edit my videos by creating .avi files compressed vith Matrox MJPEG and I record them to the VCR via the PC-VCR itself.
        Note, I have the same single SCART VCR and the TV is connected to the RF out of the VCR. Exactly as your.
        So, check your cables, connectors and adapters.
        Maybe someone here at this forum has better suggestions?

Comment

Thanks Fred. It is a bit late to check everything right now, but I'll follow your advice, as soon as I can and keep you posted.

I really appreciate your assistance. Thanks again.

Comment

DavidT,
            It was a little dumb of mine to suggest this complicated test of tha connection, described in my prev. post.
            Simply: Don't care about the VCR.
            -Can you see the video on your primary monitor while playing the cam?
            -Can you capture some videos from your Camcoder TO the PC ?
            If YES, than your connection is ok.
            Chek the settings in PC-VCR.
            I'd like to sugest to try the communication from your VCR to the BOB (you'll need a SCART OUT to composite converter)

Comment

Fred H,

I obtained a composite in/out to SCART cable and was able to perform various tests, but to no avail. It appears to me, that there is either a compatibility problem between the Athlon processor/ Gygabyte 7ix MOBO & the Matrox G400MarvelTV or the latter is defective. I intend to do a reinstall, check for updated drivers to see if this assists, although I am not hopeful.

The more I read the forums, the more issues appear regarding the Athlon/Matrox card. There is something radically wrong, as I can only operate Avid Cinema & PC-VCR Remote without lock-ups, if the DH is set to DH Multi Display or DHClone using DH Clone & DVDMax. It appears, I should be able to run these two items in DH Disabled and any selection of the DHClone. It certainly locks up if I use DHClone using DVDMax on its own.

Again Fred, thanks for you assistance. I shall let you know, if ever I have any success.

Comment

Sure do you will have succes, but don't giv up, DavidT.
                Good luck, Fred H.

Comment

Fred H,

It's quite some time ago, when I posted my problem and I very much appreciated your assistance in trying to get me up and running.

Since your last communication, I have tried all types of tests and my system has been back to the Assemblers on three occasions. Anyway the good news is the graphics card was replaced and I can now use 'DH disabled' etc. and record to VCR. I have still to put the whole thing through its paces, but at least it is now looking very promising.

Again, Fred H, thanks a million for your previous endeavours.

Best regards,

DavidT

Comment

Working...
                  X