P. Interview @ Gamers Depot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P. Interview @ Gamers Depot

Gamers Depot has an interesting interview with Kamran Ahmed from Matrox who's answering questions about the Parhelia card, here's a snippet:

GD: John Carmack has been quite public about his desire for 64bit color, do you think you guys "missed the mark" with only doing 10-bit?

Kamran/Matrox
    "The goal of full 64-bit color depths (or 16-bits per color channel) is to allow very high precision to remain in all color values to minimize artifacts in demanding multi- pass next generation 3D rendering techniques. There is no question that these very high color formats will be important to enable better image quality in the photo-realistic 3D titles of the future (we may even see a move to 32-bits per color channel eventually) and that they are the right thing to do. That being said, Matrox’s implementation of a full 10-bit per color channel throughout all pipelines brings a number of important benefits to current and future applications. Parhelia supports 10-bit across the entire pipeline, to the frame buffer (display buffer), through the LUTs and out to the DACs and TV-encoder - and for 2D, 3D and DVD. 10-bit is 64x the precision and number of colors available with existing 8-bit per color channel architectures. All this extra precision means that a wider gamut of color is available for viewing, shadows can be more subtle, the Windows desktop more vibrant and a more fine color match can be made between multiple monitors. One of the key areas being targeted with these technologies is the 2D Workstation and the color professional. The other thing that is nice about the 10-bit Gigacolor format is that it can be made to fit within the standard 32-bit per pixel display formats which makes it easier to take advantage of in the existing OS’s and applications."

GD: In the press release, it said that both 64MB and 256MB versions of Parhelia would be released. Do you have an ETA or expected pricing for these yet?

Kamran/Matrox
    "While I can't give any specifics on these products, I will say that you can expect to see them this summer. Believe it or not the 64MB board will be less expensive than the 128MB board, and the 256MB board will be more expensive J Both cards will bring the entire feature set of the Parhelia to the market including TripleHead Windows and Surround Gaming."

GD: Now that Matrox is finally back "in the 3D game", when do you think we can expect to start hearing about "Parhelia 2"?

Kamran/Matrox
    "What, Parhelia 2?"
    I've read through the whole six-page article and it's worth reading.
    Last edited by Znucke; 28 June 2002, 15:35.
    I'll buy a new card Soon™, very Soon™!
    + =

So TripleHead will be available on the 64 MB P as many have speculated. Will the only differentiator be perhaps clock speeds and/or SW bundles among these three models (obviously rhetorical)?
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

If all cards will have the same feature-set, and if they manage to get pro-certified opengl-drivers, then they will rule the 3d-workstation market.
      a $350 64mb 3d-workstation-card, with triplehead, thats a real steal!!!
      Last edited by TdB; 28 June 2002, 16:54.
      This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Nice interview....
        Very good read, and it clarifies their "mission" for those that don't see where and/or why they did what they did with the P...

I liked this paragraph
        Despite having lower clock speeds than other solutions, the Parhelia will also have a performance advantage in applications that make heavy use of quad-texturing, applications that make extensive use of complex programmable vertex shaders and applications that make use of deep pixel shaders. To see a glimpse of this, try the 3D Mark multi-texturing test (Quad Texturing), Matrox's SharkMark (90 instruction Vertex Shaders) or even Nvidia's ChameleonMark (Pixel Shading). Just for kicks, now add antialiasing to the mix and look at how performance would compare (FAA-16x vs 4xFSAA).
        Emphasis in bold is mine...
        Where are the numbers from our illustrious reviewers??
        it's always good to test a card with a competitors tech demo or bench... while it isn't always an even playing field, it can at times reveal strengths of the new card vs. the competitions'

Craig
        1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

- IGN had a Review of the Card as well. It also had the Nvidia's Chameleon Mark. Here's the Full Review. -

Edit: The Blue Bar is a Geforce 4 Ti4200. The Purple is the Geforce4 Ti4600. And the Peach/Beige is the Parhelia. -
          Last edited by Sinistral; 28 June 2002, 22:09.
          - ? -

Comment

missed it, thanks

Craig
            1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

I find the interview to be a very good read. The only thing I am wondering is if Matrox has a road map of when a revision or beefed up carded will come out? Are they going to try and do a ATI/Nvidia roadmap(new product every year, and refresh of that product every 6 months)? I love this card and the more I read about the more it appeals to me for what it is.

Kamran Ahmed
              Senior Manager - Technical Marketing and Product Management
              Matrox Graphics

I have to get that guy some credit on that interview, answered a lot of my questions.
              Fenrir(AVA)
              "Fearlessness is better then a faint-heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors.
              The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago"
              Anonymous lines from For Scirnis

Comment

Working...
              X