Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My thoughts of [H]ardOcp and Murc have changed quite a bit over the past few days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts of [H]ardOcp and Murc have changed quite a bit over the past few days.

Howdy all. Few thoughts, wanted to get them out there.

I've been reading Hardocp and the Hardforums since I put my first non-family (my own) computer together, the exact same time I started here at Murc (because of my G400 MAX). Both places had their pros and cons, and are the only two places I have continued to visit after all this time.

I always like the Hardforums because there was alot of very knowledgeable people there, and for the most part the people I dealt with were very nice. It's a great place if you want a quick answer and don't mind wading through the plethora of kiddie posts to get it.

Murc on the other hand was 98% thoughtout worthwhile posts, and I very much enjoy reading through what people post, even if it has nothing at all to do with me. The downside is there aren't nearly as many minds working together here as there is at the hardforums.

Then came the Parhelia. When I saw Kyle's post on Hardocp about not getting a review card, I was a bit irked by how he chose to deal with things. Not angry by any means, just disapointed. About the same time things over here at Murc went to shit. I see post after post of people being whiny cry babies. I understand that a large number of those posts were made by minis who were just here to cause trouble and try to justify to themselves that it is better to go with whatever card runs quake the fastest. What bothers me is how the resident Murcers let themselves be dragged into the pointless arguments, even myself. Again, I felt dissapointed more than anything.

Tonight I read through Kyle's posts over in the thread started by GT98 on the hardforums, and I must admit, I didn't have all the facts straight. While I still think some of his actions were less than becomming of his normal behavior, I completely understand where he has been coming from. On the Murc side, things are still a bit wierd to me. I'm just not used to this lack of maturity around here. I'm not talking down on Murc by any means, afterall I am quite certain things will get back to normal once this whole Parhelia nonsense blows over.

Murc was never about a group of people who had the fastest gaming video card, it was about people with similar interests (Matrox to start) getting to know each other and helping each other out, to me anyway. The past few days have seen it degrade into a pissing contest between the Parhelia hopefuls and everyone else.

I sincerely hope things get back to normal soon, thanks for listening. BTW, this took my the better part of 15 minutes to put down, so thank you for giving me a minute or two of your own time to read it.

Well put post bud Yeah all of this Parhelia versus.... performance mud sligning will subside soon I'm sure. Isn't it strange how a simple difference in preference of a product like a videocard can bring out the worst in people?

I say be proud of your purchase and if you don't like what you have then upgrade to what you need and be happy!
    Hardcore PC gamer with a sweet tooth for EXTREME eye candy!

Comment

You're right, things will dead down and all the kiddies will go away and we can begin to get back to normal. Anyway this is the soapbox, a place where all of us can go and be a little immature once in a while.

Joel
      Last edited by Joel; 28 June 2002, 04:31.
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

The Murc soap box is the last refuge of the sane in here!... its dangerous in the M hardware!

Rev, I must say I was quite miffed when Kyle made the deal of it, as he did, however I do understand where you are comming from. I am quite sure that with Parhelia with us now most of the girls and boys will move on to the next flame fight... A few will stay, and make the next super murcers... I did it when the G200 came along...

its just the way the 'net is'... Anoniminty (SP?) can mean that manners leave....

Thinks will cool down, I am sure.

Regards
        RedRed
        Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Things always go a little crazy immediately after this sort of thing, given the Parhelia is a bit of a bigger event than say the G550 though. I give it a couple of days to get back to normal, and if it doesn't I start pushing my weight around and slapping a few people.

Comment

Amen Rev!
            Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
            ----------------------
            Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Well said Rev.(stands up and applauds)

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

huh, what happened
                System 1:
                AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                Epox 8K7A
                2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                SBLIVE 5.1
                Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                3Com Hardware Modem
                Teac 20/10/40 burner
                Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Working...
                X