Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a more optomistic view....

look kids, do the math.....

The Parhelia is clocked at what, 275Mhz?

extrapolate the figure up by 25Mhz...
    You have a 'dream machine'! even if you dont get that much and settle for 10Mhz, you will have a machine that beats every other card, in everything but eyecandy off mode. the vanilla model with all eyecandy on beats the most expensive GF4 cards at many benchmarks... Are you seriously going to spend that money on a GF4 or Parhelia and NOT turn on all available eyecandy? You arent serious....

anyway....
    You will get that with the MAX card probably after the summer, you may even get 330-350Mhz late next year.... (on the smaller die) This GPU will keep reinventing itself for 4 years, at least. I think it makes a good investment.

the drivers are probably not fully mature yet - expect at least 10- 15% there alone!

Lets not all have a canary.... this is an EXCELLENT start, as Lord Ant says on the MURC page.... NvNews even thinks its a winner...

Dont be a Whiner

Regards
    RedRed
    Dont just swallow the blue pill.

I couldn't agree more, I'm a true believer but alass I'm going to wait for a max version of the card to come out. I like a bit of FPS but 200 FPS is stupid, I don't believe that needing to have 200FPS at 1024x768 is so dumb. I hate how the tech world has become... Political .... Come on people we are Techie's and Geeks not polititians damnit the world just sux... I'm going to jump off a cliff ..... just kidding, eye luv d world
    What was the error? Well its the ID10T error.

Comment

True but that doesn't justify paying $399 for it, i would like to get it in the future but the price just isn't right, also its doom3 and ut2003 leaves alot to be desired, on ut2003 at 1600x1200 getting 20-30fps isn't acceptable im afraid i really wanted this card to be a success and excel in newer games and it didn't, i can't imagine how it will run doom3

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzz
        True but that doesn't justify paying $399 for it, i would like to get it in the future but the price just isn't right, also its doom3 and ut2003 leaves alot to be desired, on ut2003 at 1600x1200 getting 20-30fps isn't acceptable im afraid i really wanted this card to be a success and excel in newer games and it didn't, i can't imagine how it will run doom3
        Well I guess to each his own... My next card will be a Matrox card since I happy as a big in poop with 60 FPS but a constant 60 fps.... and I do know that it hasn't hit that FPS since you rely your judgement on tests that have been done on immature drivers.... all I have to say is ATI's 8500... remember when it was less performing than a GF3 (and even GF2 Ultra's gave it a go for its money).... Drivers can do a lot for a card... And since Matrox is the only company (consumer level) that I know that actualy supports firmware updates I would have to say that a firmware can totaly change the way a card functions.

I do agree that the price is a little to high... gonna be about $550.00+ CND (that's Canadian EH?). But I don't think its gonna turn me away, I paid about $580.00 for my GF3 Ti200 when it was new and look at it now... only 1 year later... LOL. The Parhelia I do believe was a bit pre-mature but I do trust Matrox to do the proper thing and not the popular thing. They don't have shareholders that haggle them all the time so that will let them deal with the problem at hand and deal with them properly.
        What was the error? Well its the ID10T error.

Comment

Re: a more optomistic view....

Originally posted by RedRed
          look kids, do the math.....

The Parhelia is clocked at what, 275Mhz?

extrapolate the figure up by 25Mhz...
          You have a 'dream machine'! even if you dont get that much and settle for 10Mhz, you will have a machine that beats every other card, in everything but eyecandy off mode. the vanilla model with all eyecandy on beats the most expensive GF4 cards at many benchmarks... Are you seriously going to spend that money on a GF4 or Parhelia and NOT turn on all available eyecandy? You arent serious....

anyway....
          You will get that with the MAX card probably after the summer, you may even get 330-350Mhz late next year.... (on the smaller die) This GPU will keep reinventing itself for 4 years, at least. I think it makes a good investment.

the drivers are probably not fully mature yet - expect at least 10- 15% there alone!

Lets not all have a canary.... this is an EXCELLENT start, as Lord Ant says on the MURC page.... NvNews even thinks its a winner...

Dont be a Whiner

Regards
          RedRed
          Are you talking about overclocking the memory?? I think the GPU clock speed is the prob, not the memory. Raise that puppy up to about 275Mhz and then you'll have some serious kick ass results. Combine that with improved drivers, and you'll have something probably even comparible to the R300 with better IQ.
          System Specs:
          Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
          May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
          Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
          And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
          just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
          For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

RedRed, you're absolutely right on this one. That's exactly what I thought when I saw the Benchmarks. I always wanted a card that is fast at high resolutions and superb AA and all eyecandy on! :drool:

Let the kiddies with their el-cheapo 15" CRTs buy the GF4/5/6/..., they think it's cool to have 200+fps at 640*480@60Hz. Oh and not to mention some nVidiots that buy a high-end 21" CRT, hook it up to a no-name GF4 and then complain about "that crappy monitor, which is not sharp at anything higher than 1024*768...

Let's face it, the Parhelia is a bit more expensive than a GF4Ti4600, but you get a lot more:
            -excellent multi-display
            -best DVD playback ever seen (DVDmax)
            -stable drivers (well, in a few weeks )
            -tons of features in 2D
            -best performance at high res

I'm looking forward to my Parhelia, I'm sure it's worth the money!
            main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

- This was just a response about the card that i posted on the [H]ard Forum. Just my summary of the past couple days. Just a read if you want . -

Originally posted by Jpbtennisman
              Erm, Frg is right about the Parhelia, the performance sucks. It has a market, but the 3-D gamer market is NOT it, let's leave it at that.
              - The Parhelia sucks how? It doesnt live up to the hype consumer created for it? Hype never lives up to what is claimed. So far... Most of the reviews ive seen have First Person Shooter Gaming Benchmarks. Is that all the PC is capable of playing? Most of the Reviews run the typical 3DMark and 5-10 First Person Shooter's. In the end though, the Parhelia is a Video Card. Not a Hardcare Gamer's Card. I admit myself, the card is dissapointing... as to how the public is responding to a different approach to an already saturated market. Are people that much afraid of change? I get a lot of buzz around the net that the features are useless. Then they say, that the next ATI or Nvidia card will have more/better/improved features. I thought they were useless? I guess its not until the big boys monopolize a feature its deemed worthy, right?

And Kyle. Is Matrox so wrong? Would you have reviewed the card in a different manner? Or would you also just run the typical 3DMark and a few First Person Shooters? Im sure other sites didnt get a card. Yet did they only post news on the frontpage to reviews that were typical? The one review that you did post that showed the Parhelia in a different light, was commented as to how something must be wrong. Some of the comments added to the news seemed like you were on the brink of laughter.

And to add. IMO, the Parhelia can be viewed as an Alternative. In todays market, we have $100->$400 Gaming Cards that just do Gaming. They arent much useful for anything else. Then we have the Uber High-end cards that cost $700-$1300+. That only work in their feild (CAD, Media, 3-D). The Parhelia offeres the best of both worlds, for the price that matches. Is that so wrong? The only hype that the Card failed to fulfill is the hype that consumers typically generate. -
              - ? -

Comment

Who's whining?

mwahh, i dont have €470 and I want a Parhelia

(note the €470, i've already found a shop that is going to sell the retail for €470 and the OEM for €450)
                Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

oh, FPS are not all that are played, GamePC also tested with Dungeon Siege:

Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

That's nice to see - the Parhelia kicked butt on that one......

Comment

The Parhelia WILL 'kick butt'. It does now, in a fairly narrow band of apps, but that will widen as the drivers mature. This is the first incarnation OF A NEW TECHNOLOGY. remember what the early Gseries drivers were like.... SLOW, but STABLE. I am Still running my g400 clocked 15%, with an overpowered fan only.

This P is like the move from MilleniumII to G100.... give ie a while.

as to the clock speeds.... I actuall did mean to comment on the core of the GPU, but had a jelly finger moment..... extrapolate the scores with an overall 20% improvement in core and memory speed.... thats what I recon you will get with a MAX, provided the AGP spec is up to is (see the other thread)

(Where did I leave my old Artic?)

knirfie:
                      Whining about being skint IS ALLOWED

Regards
                      RedRed
                      Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

eh? 15% on your G400? I can only go 7 on my G400Max (using the factory fan and heatsink still though..) Nice overclock.
                        "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                        Gainward Ti4600
                        AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

With just a slot cooler I was able to reach 220 on memories with my MAX...

But talking about the P, 400 bucks is too much for me, even for the best of the best graphics card...

I'll wait to see how the drivers improve performance (speccialy on Anisotrop Filtering), and wait for the 64 Mb version (wich hopefully won't be underclocked... )
                          <p><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="1">"Dadinho o C@r@$, meu nome agora � Z� Pequeno" - City Of God</font></p>
                          <p><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">A64 @ 2,25 + 1GB + GT6600</font> </p>

Comment

Working...
                          X