Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawking a book

OK I know it's neither hardware nor software but they do come in hardback

Just wondered if anyone had any opinions on the best book to get. Stephen Hawkin's the Universe In a Nutshell or his updated and expanded (and illustrated) A Brief History of Time?

I found a Brief history of time very interesting, if somewhat a little mind bending at times.

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I also found "A Brief History of Time" quite interesting. I may even go buy it now that you mention it.
      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

"A Brief History of Time' is a pretty sweet book.

I ought to read it again.

If you're ready for more after that, get "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku.

amish
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Brief History of Time is an excellent book - but only if you are interested in physics/astronomy on a general level anyway.

The Universe in a Nutshell is more colourful, but I would say less of a good read. More of a coffee-table book (except not like Madonna's...)

I bought the Nutshell one for my younger brother (he is 15 and also called Ant - we didn't like Tony!), and he seems to be quite enjoying it. More of a book to dip in and out of though, imho.

Regards

gnep
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I might start off with Nutshell and if I can get my head around it move on to History

Comment

Also very good (if dated) is "Relativity for the Layman" - I forget who by but you should be able to find it. It also has the benefit of being nice and short. But you probably already have the basics of special and general relativity.

And "The Emporer's (sp?) New Mind" by Roger Penrose has a good "tour" of modern-ish physics - you can ignore the rest of the book if not interested.

gnep
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

How do you use these things, "books"? Do they require a docking station? What is their battery life? What is the screen size, resolution, color-depth? Are they upgradeable? I've heard of them but I've never seen one in person.
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

There is a reason "A Brief History of Time" is SH's best know work: it is a fasacinating and excellently written book! I highly recomend it if you have any interest in physics.

MadScot
                  Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

I have an interest in physics, just don't understand it! Hey I'm a biochemist

Comment

The two books are basically the same, they are just written diffrently, since a brief history of time alot of people did not understand his method of writting. The universe in a nutshell is pretty much the same thing as brief history of time, just a diffrent style of writting. His new one is great to The Theory of Everything, but it is done in a way that is an add-on to Universe in a Nut Shell/Brief History of Time.
                      Fenrir(AVA)
                      "Fearlessness is better then a faint-heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors.
                      The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago"
                      Anonymous lines from For Scirnis

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                        How do you use these things, "books"? Do they require a docking station? What is their battery life? What is the screen size, resolution, color-depth? Are they upgradeable? I've heard of them but I've never seen one in person.
                        They uplink directly to your brain through your eyes which enables them to use your brains full capacity for Video and sound effects!
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Hey if any of you are intrested in speed reading I can really recommened a program called EyeQ it works, even gives you graphical charts showing your progress. You can check it out at http://www.infmind.com First web sample I took my reading speed was 283 WPM after one 15-minute test it went to 318WPM. Not bad hey.
                          Fenrir(AVA)
                          "Fearlessness is better then a faint-heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors.
                          The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago"
                          Anonymous lines from For Scirnis

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                            I have an interest in physics, just don't understand it! Hey I'm a biochemist
                            Chemistry, even biochemistry, are sub-branches of Physics....you guys just don't want to acknowledge the fact

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

It was a couple of years ago I read "A Brief History of Time", IMHO it's easy to read and quite interesting, especially the parts about black holes and the destiny of the universe.
                              I'll buy a new card Soon™, very Soon™!
                              + =

Comment

Working...
                              X