X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PANASONIC Announces New DVD MULTI Drive

To Ship October of 2002:

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

From the Panasonic Web site:

Jerry Jones

Comment

So they have a DVD-RW drive that also writes DVD-Ram. Nice, of course, but there's still the possibility that the "+RW" camp wins the race. BTW, what are these 9.4 gb media they mention? Are they double-sided or double-layered?

Now that the compatibility issues are more or less solved, the usability, availability and price of the media will decide which drives are most attractive. Microsoft has announced native Windows support for +RW so that's a massive "usability" issue which will boost +RW sales. Especially if the new Windows version comes with DVD authoring software...

The worldwide installed base of DVD writers is still a bit small, so I am still not certain that DVD-R/RW is there to stay. Even though it is an "official" format. Look what happened to 2.88 mb floppies, LS-120 superfloppies and Jaz drives. Does anyone still remember Philips' CD-Interactive? Digital Compact Cassette? Video-2000? Betamax?

I think there's a certain momentum (sold media or devices, which directly influences the price) needed to make certain that a new format is there to stay. Only so can I explain that Sony got away with Digital-8. So I wait and see, I' ll decide next year. Too bad the industry couldn't agree on a standard format, I would gladly have bought a drive today.
      Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

I doubt +RW per se has any chance of winning the race since DV MAGAZINE's July issue confirmed that it's far less compatible than DVD-R and slightly less compatible than DVD-RW.

It might be a different story for DVD+R, but the big stumbling block there is the cost of the discs... they currently cost twice as much as DVD-R discs.

So I'm betting that unless this changes... DVD "+" formats... even with Microsoft's support are too little too late.

The other problem I'm seeing is that the DVD FORUM is not warming up to Microsoft's Corona.

In fact, they're probably ticked off that Microsoft has thrown its support behind the rogue, non-approved DVD formats.

Jerry Jones

Comment

DVD Forum Explains New "Combination" DVD Discs

These new combination DVD discs seem quite useful.

DVD-RAM on one side for data; DVD-R on the other side for video playback in a stand alone player.

Combination DVD discs explained:

Jerry Jones

Comment

The German CT magazine did an extensive test last month and concluded that the compatibility of "+R(W)" and "-R(W)" is identical. So from a video point of view, it doesn't really matter which camp wins, as long as we can buy the discs cheaply. So I will just lean back and see who wins...

I personally couldn't care less which camp wins, but knowing Microsoft, they simply won't give up until the world turns their way. Meaning that if they say +RW is going to be the standard, there's nothing you can do to stop them. The endorsement of an official institution like the DVD forum simply means nothing to them. They prefer to set the standards rather than to comply with any.

Remember how they weren't allowed to Windownize Java? So they simply declared Java dead and introduced a new framework instead, to be built into the next version of Windoze. As simple as that. Like it or not, you're gonna get it. Even if you don't buy Windoze XXP, the next "security update" of Internet Explorer or MS-Office will probably smuggle it into your system. It's really amazing what these folks can get away with. If I were a government official, I would never allow a system into my department that tries to contact Microsoft servers every time you press a button. Microsoft calls it "trustworthy computing" if I'm not mistaken. Sad, isn't it? Just watch what happens if they deal out stickers with the text "designed for Windows" for +RW drives. Or for DVD video players that play "+" media only...
            Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

I keep saying: Unless you and your audience are willing to buy new compatible players if necessary, its best to wait. If you are willing to buy new players doesn't much matter which you get, and cost of reliable blanks should be the determiner if you are doing any significant volume.

Thus I suspect the "war" will be won by the side having lined up the lowest cost disk producers. The DVD- camp certainly has the early lead here.

I'm waiting, as none of my friend's players are compatible and they are not likely to replace what they got last Xmas to watch my disks!

--wally.
              Last edited by wkulecz; 29 June 2002, 07:03.

Comment

As I see it, the really big problem is that neither + or - has enough compatibility. If you use a CD-R to write some music too, you know that that will play in almost any given CD player.

If you write a movie to DVD-R, or DVD+R; then you don't know if it'll be accepted by the player or not. Until either DVD format can get that level of compatibility, neither format can really "win".

IMHO of course.
                MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Working...
                X