Parhelia *NOT* for gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia *NOT* for gamers

it seems that most reviews and interest is coming from the crowd that Matrox doesnt want to market to.
    instead Matrox is aiming for some non existent "business" market

in any case i think alot of folks esp the lunatic gamers with too much money and time to spend, are getting their panties in a twist and should just calm the feck down. Either buy the card for its merits (I'm sure it has some) or look elsewhere for benchmark "thrills".

- What reviews? Theres been 1 Review thats been pulled down. Far to early for any conclusions... The Parhelia has the power, it just needs better drivers. Which every company can improve on. -
    - ? -

Comment

By the time Matrox make the new drivers, Nvidia will have their next card out...

Comment

... and it will still look like an NVIDIA.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by ADM
          By the time Matrox make the new drivers, Nvidia will have their next card out...
          Your point is?

Some of us prefer eyecandy over performance,
          and it's allways nice with a couple of new features...

So why should we be concerned over nvidia releasing a new card?

Comment

Matrox is marketing the Parhelia card towards ME, and people like me. We may not be as big a "market" as the FPS gamers. But we are big enough to have kept Matrox profitable for as long as they have been in business.

Was the original Millennium targeted towards gamers. No. It was a more expensive professional card that was also a favorite of those who like professional quality.

There isn't a feature I can think of on the Parhelia that I won't use or strive to make use of. The thought of running dual 1920x1440 displays makes me drool. Yet I also like to play games. I am the kind of person that will buy more monitors and build a bigger desk just to experience the gaming wonders of Triplehead. FSAA is uselessly terrible and the lack of AA in games has always been a peeve of mine. IMO, 16xFAA is the only reason I would need to buy the Parhelia over the competting gamer cards.

I don't consider the present benchmarks of Quake and 3Dmark2001SE. Since I don't play any of those games. I also understand that all the new cards will be cpu limited. Not until I get my hammer will I see the full potential of the parhelia.

If the Parhelia had come out before the GF4. Would you be saying, "What a let down. It's only as fast as a Parhelia".
            I should have bought an ATI.

Comment

I think the mistake is people thinking there is a "gamer" market. People who haven't even finished high school yet think the world revolves around them, when the average large corporation could buy more of the product than there are people in the "gamer" market.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I still think this card will do well in the gaming market.
                System Specs:
                Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
                May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
                Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
                And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
                just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
                For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Yep, that's how 3DFx stayed in business for as long as they did, selling a couple Voodoo 2 cards to a few teenagers.

Originally posted by Wombat
                  I think the mistake is people thinking there is a "gamer" market. People who haven't even finished high school yet think the world revolves around them, when the average large corporation could buy more of the product than there are people in the "gamer" market.

Comment

Oh dear.
                    I wil buy the card for some very specific reasons.

1. Gigacolour. I do a colossal amount of image editing work. Scanning at 48bit (slides/negs) and the extra bits will be a ****ing massive bonus.

2. Im an adult, who likes games, but needs to work. The performance will be fine, and will get better as drivers improve. Ive said it before. The GF drivers are very mature - and all GF cards are architecturally similar - Matrox have to work from the beginning.

3. 3 monitors. Desktop, and surround gaming to boot.

4. I forgot ... image quality. Other cards are crap when you do a direct card/card comparison. Im sorry - but I cant give that up.

Matrox will survive due to people like me. And think of that colossal PHotoshop community who will drool over gigacolour. On one of my mailing lists (filmscanners) everyone is desperate to hear about this card in action.

... FPS .. who gives a toss
                    G400 32 D/H, PIII650@840, ABIT-BE6II, MX300

Comment

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi

Your point is?

Some of us prefer eyecandy over performance,
                      and it's allways nice with a couple of new features...

So why should we be concerned over nvidia releasing a new card?
                      I perfer perfomance over eyecandy, most gamers do;
                      the same with the public, they look for FPS count too.
                      I don't understand why they show loads of game screens, then all of you say it's not a gaming card. If it wasn't intended on gaming then why Surround Gaming?
                      Last edited by ADM; 24 June 2002, 15:26.

Comment

Originally posted by bobby2
                        ...The GF drivers are very mature - and all GF cards are architecturally similar - Matrox have to work from the beginning....

How can you say nVidia's v29.xx drivers are more mature than Matrox' v1.0.1?

Comment

Believe it or not, there actually is a "business" market. I don't know how large that market is, but it most definately exists.

Why did SGI choose the G450 for some of their workstation's? To sell to enthusiats? More likely for professionals who need Dual monitor capability.

Ppl need to realize that the demographic of these forums such as these are almost purely enthusiasts. Some of those enthusiasts may be professionals of some kind, but are enthusiasts none the less.
                          Primary system specs:
                          Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

Steve, I doubt the review was even done on the 1.0.1 drivers. Pretty sure it was on the 1.0.0.xx.

And Donnyboy is right, there is a business market. And it's HUGE. Much, much, MUCH larger than the hard core gamers market.
                            What do you think has kept Matrox in buiz (quite succesfully I might add) for over a quarter of a century? Certainly not the FPS counters.
                            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I know Matrox are a huge company for business products, who didn't?
                              I'd just like to see more challange in the gaming market, it's always the same old names.
                              I want to see Matrox stay in the top, but I reckon they won't do aswell as they aspected with the Parhelia and maybe drop out.

Comment

Working...
                              X