Police siren at boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police siren at boot

Except it doesn't boot anymore. Its my daughter's comp: Epox MVP3E, K6III 500. She said it started to smell hot a couple of times and now no boot at all so its sitting here with dad scratching his head. The Epox knowledge base says something about temp sensors but I'm trying to figure out if maybe the mb is toast.
    Laurie
    ======

That siren like sound indicates the cpu is overheating or if the board supports it,voltage is running under or over a preset value.
    If the cpu gets too hot,it can self destruct.
    The only way to find out is trying another cpu or have it tested at a local computer shop.

Comment

Try maybe a new HSF, if you have one lying arond - your daughter said it smelled hot, so it seems like it's a heat, rather than a voltage issue

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I took the processor right out and tried to boot. I get the same high/low pitched sounds immediately...no change. I used to have an old K6II 300 lying around but seeing as I get the same siren noise with no processor it would be pointless to try that.
        Laurie
        ======

Comment

The indication is no processor,if the one in there got toasted,it will sound the alarm,if you don't have one in there,same response,try a different cpu and see.
          If the new one (known good) beeps,then mobo may be suspect.
          Just make sure the jumpers are set right and try the other cpu.

Comment

It might be safer to try the suspect CPU in another MB.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

That makes sense, xortam,
              I'm one of those "where fools rush in"!

Comment

So if the siren is indicating no processor it seems that no matter what is causing the problem it may be time to pull the mb and processor out and upgrade. My daughter played a lot of UT when she was at home and this comp was a little under-powered for that anyway. She's at her boyfriend's now and he is on a 56K modem so its not urgent I suppose.
                Laurie
                ======

Comment

Laurie, if she stays there longer - why not upgrade while she's there and have a little surprise when she comes back?

AZ

Comment

AMI BIOS--Continuous Beeping: Memory or video problem

AWARD BIOS-- Continuous Beeping: Memory or video problem

Phoenix BIOS-- Doesn’t seem to have a Continuous Beeping

Hope this helps

Oboy
                    Time to make the wafers!
                    Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
                    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

It seems there is only one beep code from the Award Bios (the one this mb uses). So the siren must be initiated by the mb which follows what Alfie has been saying. I'll take the processor in and see if someone can check it. Thanks.

BTW Az, She's living at her boyfriend's place (actually at his parent's house ) and I've pounded my last dollar into this box. She's on the hook for anything else.
                      Laurie
                      ======

Comment

Oh, she's LIVING there - then I guess it's not all that urgent to get the box fixed

AZ

Comment

Working...
                        X