Parhelia and SMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia and SMP

Is there any info about Parhelia and SMP ?
    Does any of the BBZ have a Dual CPU computer ?

How well does it get along with other periferals (SB Live! comes to mind) ?

Check the Parhelia thread in General Hardware on the Matrox support forums.

AFAIR Haig said in the other thread that Parhelia drivers aren't multi-threaded.

R.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Comment

I am running an SMP system to....wonder if that would drastically effect the card. GF4 and Radeon 8500 only has about 10-12 fps less then a single chip system. Hopefully this won't hurt the card. The perphials I think the most notorious card is the Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum, has a thing were it clicks and echos in games, and skips in mp3's and apparently its not just me who gets it.
      Fenrir(AVA)
      "Fearlessness is better then a faint-heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors.
      The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago"
      Anonymous lines from For Scirnis

Comment

Try the new Compaq Audigy drivers. Solve almost everything. (Still have click/static here and there)

Comment

I have also a SMP system (2x p3 866)

at the moment I have a Ti200 , no alot of problems.

only sometimes when I play a game and winamp is also running, it could result in a bluescreen, that doesn't happen mu

the drivers of ATI aren't multithreaded eather (but they suck anyway)
          Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

it doesnt matter as much as multi threaded drivers more that it doesnt cause blue screens like the audigy and plays well, also the fps, and quality of the card iotself does decrease too much

Snake
            Snake

Dual AMD MP 1800+
            Asus A7M266-D
            512MB ECC registered MEM
            2 * 40GB IBM HDD
            RAID 0 using Promise ultra 100
            Audigy Platinum
            2 * 19" iiyama monitors
            Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4600 128mb
            (Parhelia )

Comment

the only real reason multithreaded drivers would be good is on cards that do not have onboard T&L or for situations where the CPU is doing the work for the video card. in such cases multithreaded drivers would improve performance by removing the CPU as the bottleneck (or at least lessening the problem).

I would have loved for the G400's to have some form of multithreaded OpenGL drivers, as it would have given a boost on my system when i used a dually for my main computer.

biggest problem i always found with SMP systems is that a lot of drivers cannot handle switching between processors too well. setting the affinity of the device to one processor usually fixed some problems, although in my case it usually caused more =)

also, the SB cards are not the greatest choice if you are running SMP. never had good luck with them on SMP systems.
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
              X