Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ual Boot -> AGP+PC, can PCI be pri under one os and sec under the other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ual Boot -> AGP+PC, can PCI be pri under one os and sec under the other?

Did the quick token search through old threads, and at Matrox and MS, but didn't find anything relevant.

I wonder..... what are the odds of success to say, have 2k & XP boot up with Parhelia as primary, and have 98 boot up with something like a g400 or 450 as the primary? I haven't bothered to try it since two Mystiques are my only current pci cards and I'm not too worried about it yet. Has anyone else tried anything like that? I would assume that a quick jump in the BIOS during a reboot should be all that is necessary, but does anyone here know?

Just a curiosity - not going to sweat unless things go kooky at Matrox and 9X drivers never do actually see the light of day.
    Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

You will be stuck with the boot up card as set by your BIOS but under Windows (2K and XP at least) you can define which you want to be your primary under the OS from display properties.

Comment

Just install Win98 with PCI as primary, then set AGP to primary and install Win2k. Should be ok
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

This should work fine.
        I've got 2 boards, and 2k will let me use either board as primary regardless of what's set in the bios. It will use the bios primary for display up until the driver loads and the login screen comes up though. Also, it will work even if no driver is installed for one of the boards. I've booted up a few times this way while updating drivers, and it just leaves the loading status screen up and uses the secondary for display if the primary has no driver.
        I don't really know what '98 will do. Worst case you'll have to set the pci card as primary in the bios to get '98 to work right. Best case it'll work just like 2k.
        Mike

Comment

Cool deal. Thaks for the responses guys

It looks then, like in the worst case I'll still be covered with 98 for legacy games
          Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

Comment

Oooh, new avatar. What is it - a Jetta?
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

1990 Fox GL - I will NEVER get rid of it.

Been seriously thinking about adding a Jetta since last year, but nex year VW is introducing a nice full sized suv in america called Touareg. It's supposed to actually be able to go places too, instead of just being a status quo "soccer mom" car. If it stacks up against my girlfriend's Discovery then it'll probably be my next purchase

Comment

I've seen a recent article which declared SUVs as extinct. Sales are slumping and they see the fad ceasing. I'd be glad to see less of those obstacles on the road myself ... but we digress (as usual) .
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I don' see SUVs going away any time soon. The problem I've seen with them around here is that so many people who own SUVs seem to have them for the status (and to cut me off and try to run me off the road ), and will probably never take them off of asphalt.

I agree to the extent that 75% of the vehicles on roads don't need to be beasts that get 12MPG for the average downtown commuter, but it's nice to have something that can fit my girlfriend and both of my dogs, or some friends and our mountainbikes. Especially when half of our favorite summertime hangouts are at/above timberline.
                  Last edited by seether; 23 June 2002, 18:24.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdrivrco
                    [...] but it's nice to have something that can fit my girlfriend [...]
                    Just don't let her hear that

AZ
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Not to mention that driving in CO with only 2WD sux.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                      X