DVD-RAM: Having Good Luck With It So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD-RAM: Having Good Luck With It So Far

The Panasonic LF-D311 has DVD-R capability and it's working quite well for that.

But I'm really impressed by DVD-RAM.

This format is turning out to be the most bullet-proof archiving and file storage format I've ever used.

The defect management feature and the drag-and-drop simplicity have worked as advertised.

I've managed to transfer the contents of 20 CDs to just two DVD-RAM cartridges, which has not only saved considerable space in my CD towers but has also freed up a stack of jewel cases.

(The DVD-RAM cartridges don't need jewel cases.)

I also like the option of being able to view DVD-RAM mini discs that have been recorded in the new Hitachi and Panasonic DVD Disc camcorders:

We are sorry that the page you are looking for cannot be found. The page file may have been removed, renamed, or is temporarily unavailable.

The price is right on these Panasonic drives, too.

It's now selling at http://www.avlogic.com for $279.50.

This model doesn't burn to DVD-RW - only to DVD-R and DVD-RAM.

(I hear the upcoming Panasonic LF-521 will add DVD-RW.)

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Sounds good - just a shame it costs £350 to £400 (inc VAT) here in the UK!

I could get the Pioneer A04 for about £250 (inc VAT) over here if I wanted, but personally I've decided to wait 6 months and wait for the next generation or 2 of writer to be available.

Rob.

Comment

Jerry:
      Have you heard anything on the quality of the newer DVD-Ram/R camcorders? I seem to recall the visual quality (early models) was less than stellar. But the possiblity os VERY interesting for the future.

The newer 521 units ability to write to DVD-RW is somewhat of a yawner to me. I would prefer to see just faster write speeds.

I am biting the bullet and grabbiing one. The fact that DVD-R's are around $1.29 a pop have pushed me over the edge to buy.

By the by, have you tried any of the Optidisk 9.4 gig DVD-RAM cartridges? $9.50 apiece + free shipping sounds awful tempting.
      Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

I suspect the image quality of the newest model of DVD camcorder is improved as it has a MEGA-PIXEL CCD.

Please report back on how well you are able to edit the files, especially if you're using MediaStudio Pro.

I - too - am intrigued by these disc camcorders.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Sorry about that Jerry. What I meant to impy was that I am ordering the Panasonic drive.

The camcorder is something for the future. I would prefer to read some reviews about the newer models first.

Rick
          Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

I don't see how MPEG camcorders can be of intrest to anyone who expects to edit their video!

DV is basically 25 Mb/s MPEG. Knocking this down to 4-8 Mb/s before recording can't possibly help no matter how good the mpeg encoder is.

IF its not I-frame only you lose frame accuracy on your edits. IF it is I-frame only you get the worse MPEG quality for a given bit rate compared to CBR or VBR.

I hope these things die a quick death! Proceed with "Blu-ray" instead and record DV direct to the higher capacity disks, ignore these basically useless, expensive sidetracks.

--wally.

Comment

Theories schmeories.

Until somebody actually tests one of these new DVD camcorders and does some editing with the video, then nobody can know for certain how practical they really are.

By the way, DVD-RAM is Blue Laser compatible:

Jerry Jones

Comment

I've attempted to edit all manner of mpeg and its the pits!

The problems with editing mpeg are not theoretical!

--wally.

Comment

Working...
                X