Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Parhelia have enough horsepower for this???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Parhelia have enough horsepower for this???

I read an article a day or two ago about a GF4 TI4600 and TI4200 Rendering "Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within" movie in REALTIME. Do you guys think the Parhelia will be able to pull this off too? I absolutly do not want an Nvidia card in my system. If the Parhelia doesn't live up to the hype on Tuesday, I guess I'll be looking for an R300 Board.

I believe that parhelia will be a "better" card than the gf4ti series, but I donĀ“t believe ANY gpu can render a scene from final fantasy in realtime, well atleast not at the same detail as the movie.
    This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

There's already a discussion about this supposed rendering in General Hardware. With screenshots. It looks nothing like the movie - it's just nVidia trying to get PR.
      By nVidia's standards, I could get a bunch of 5-year-olds to draw very fast and they'd count it as "rendering Final Fantasy in real time."
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Is this the same slipknot that I know from MW4?

Dave(Hele)
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

-Nah, not the same slipknot Helevitia

-I'll check General Hardware for the thread Wombat, but The Inquier is pretty hard on someone when they claim something like this but they can't do it. They didn't seem to hard on Nvidia in that article.

Comment

there is a discussion about the nvidia FF-movie here:

as far as i can see from those screenshots, nvidia cut some corners...
            This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

As far as I know , Nvidia never said it was the same as the movie. It is very impressive , though . Especially how close the skin and hair is (if you've seen the demo in realtime with the old man's (Cid's ) beard you'd be amazed . Oh wait I happen to have a screenshot ...

Comment

They are obviously using an optimized demo designed to be used for that purpose with the fully rendered models and backrounds already done. there is no way a card could render a 3d scene from a movie or animation like that in real-time from wireframe and all that... companies have render farms with dozens of computers running 24/7 to handle effects for tv/movies and not cheap ones either they are running DEC Alpha's Dual processor SGI and all those $10,000+ computers 3d games are designed to be rendered in real-time because the scenes need to be but with animations it's not time but the final product that count. I'm sure this demo was produced to be run in real-time so any card with comperable fill rates will do the trick. Unless the demo is only designed to work with a form of Geforce exlusive technology in wich case the test is irrelevant because it would be designed to run that way on the card.
                Last edited by Jutai; 22 June 2002, 03:17.
                -Chris K.

Comment

Guess we'll see SGI slap nV down again. Just like they did a couple years ago with their overly hyped claims.
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X