Quick GFX performance Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick GFX performance Question

Under 3DMark2001SEv2, in win2k, I'm getting basically the same performance from a G550 and a GF2 MX200 - is that right? I assumed a GF2 MX would outperform the G550.

Steve
    This isn't quite what you asked, but the closest I can quote you is ~1400 for a G400 vs ~2400 for a GF2MX400 on cpus ~1GHz.

HTH

Tony.
    FT.

Comment

was that in win2k?

I'm getting ~1350 for both on a Duron @ 7x133=933Mhz

Comment

Steve,

Those numbers don't sound right. THe G550 isn't even as fast as an original GF.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

the gf2mx200 IS that slow, if you look in madonions 3dmark-database, then you will see that 1200-1400 is a normal score for that card in win2k on a 1ghz duron.
          the gf2mx200 is considered to be a VERY low-end card.
          This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

iirc, the mx200 is slower than the GF 256DDR - about half as slow as the standard GF2 MX maybe.

The MX400 was slightly faster than the GF2MX. Are the MXs not usually on par with the previous "generation"?

P.
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Except that the GF4MX chips are 2 generations old.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

On my system I get 1558 with WinXP, and before with Win98 I was getting 1577. That's with a:

G400 MAX not o/c'ed
                Celeron 1.2 @ 1.38, 115 MHz FSB (Tualatin core, 256kB cache)
                ASUS TUSL2-C
                512 megs RAM at CAS2
                PDesk 5.84 beta
                Windows XP Pro

Here's the shortcut to the benchmark:

Comment

Thanks guys! I never realised how bad the mx200 is/was.

Comment

I've got one (PCI). It's a really lousy 3D card. Depending on the app (haven't tried benchmarking it) it ranges from about even with my G400 to much slower. I've managed to get GTA3 running ok on the G400 on my dual PIII-1G, but the GF2 chops like mad.
                    I just bought the thing to run my 2nd display since I couldn't seem to talk my G400 into running at 1600x1200x32@85Hz with dualhead enabled.
                    I'll have to get into performance testing once my Parhelia shows up. I've got a spare machine (PII-333) for running lan games of Unreal Tournament. (and maybe other stuff, but so far just UT)
                    Right now I've got an ATI Rage Fury MAXX, which I got for a days work helping a friend upgrade his computer. It doesn't work in 2k/xp, and 2k was part of the upgrade.
                    Pretty soon I'll have to figure out which of these boards runs best in that box. Anyone have a guess?
                    Mike

Comment

Rage Fury MAXX uses AFR to boost framerates. Whatever score you get, half it
                      Meet Jasmine.
                      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Just installed win98se to check it wasn't a win2k thing and on the same system got 1410, so yep - the GF2MX200 is the same performance as a G550.

Comment

Working...
                        X