Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agp4x + xp

posted June 21, 2002 03:09 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I can't get AGP 4X to work properly. When installing latest drivers for my Matrox G400 Max (4X compatible), the monitor goes black just before login. If I also install the latest VIA 4in1 i can log in but after a while the computer freezes. Funny is that this is my second TUV4X. I don't remember having these troubles with the first.
    I changed the installation order of drivers ;removal of matrox drivers, restart, via4in1, restart, w2k_582 and had it working. Then I installed a Symbios SCSI card and everything went crazy again. I can boot into XP with AGP4X enabled in BIOS + software but after a while when moving the mouse the computer freeze again. When starting up again I get a message telling me
    that Windows was restored from a severe error caused by Matrox Millenium G400Max English. Without Via4in1 and only XP native drivers AGP4X works without errors but I need the Powerdesk extensions (Dualhead, etc). The video card, all PCI cards + USB share IRQ9, could this be healthy? I've tried 5.72, 5.82 with no luck. I suspect the drivers...

Another issue: On dvd playback i experience green/purple colors
    in dark areas. Is this an issue with 8-bit color/channel rendering? I've ordered Matrox Parhelia. Can I expect an improvment concerning dvd playback and color precision?

At this point I'm frustrated. Is there something wrong with my m/b or matrox card? With my first TUV4X i had it all working...

I've installed VIA4ni1 4.40 and they seem to have fixed the problems for me. What remains is to install the other cards and see if the system remains stable. Any comments on my question about dvd playback?

Comment

After reinstalling cards and upping resolution to 1152*864 the screen hangs when accesing menus again :-(... What the f**k!!! Should i return the m/b?

Comment

The instability seems to be related to colordepth. When running 16-bit I get freezes, when running 32-bit the system seems stable. Anyone in the house have had similar problems?

Comment

Anyone, please?

Comment

I think that the overal opinion on this forum is that in case of troubles to enable 4x AGP on the G400/G450/G550, it's best to just leave it at 2x AGP, since the trouble of enabling 4x AGP doesn't pay off in the end.

Comment

Thanx for the reply... Any thoughts on my dvd issues. I've searched the internet and found that the phenomenon is called banding or posterization. In dark areas the grayscale split up in just a few colors (green, purple instead of smoothly gray) producing an "oil on water effect". Is it possible to get rid off/reduce this defect?

Comment

no, you shouldn't see any banding during normal DVD playback (well, certainly not to the extends you are reporting). Did you play back the DVD at 16-bit or 32-bit colour depth? Maybe it's not using overlay: try lowering your refresh rate and/or resolution/colourdepth when watching the DVD.

Comment

Working...
                X