Cool new toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool new toy

I went to a buddies house and he had a really cool new toy. It's an R/C Nitro burning monster truck. It was so cool I went out the next day and bought one. Now I can't stop upgrading the stupid thing. I have upgraded nearly everything from the motor to the wheels.

Three of us that have these got together yesterday and had a long jump competition. We set up a 4x8 sheet of plywood on a saw horse as a ramp. I won the day with a jump of 31 feet (we had a tape measure laying out). The rule was that you had to land and drive away. Divebombing it into the ground didn't count . There were plenty of buper shaped divots in the ground when we were done but the only damaged sustained were a few blown shock caps (there are 8 oil shocks on the car which I will be upgrading this week).

Anyway, it's called a T-Maxx by Traxxas and it is a TON of fun.

I love the smell of nitro in the morning.
    Attached Files

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Here is one with the body on:
    Attached Files

Comment

I preferred the 4 engine B-17 bomber I had back in the 80's. It had working landing gear, bomb bays and "bomb" release mechanism.

Fun for taking out toy trucks on the fly

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Before I had kids, I was a hardcore RC racer.
        Ran a hopped up Associated RC-10T open class electric truck.
        Had over $5000 in my racing setup (truck, radio, batteries, etc.), spent over 100 a week on tires, motors, shocks, and so forth.
        Was sponsored by a local track to go around to other tracks and race with my sponsor's name plastered all over my truck.
        This was during the dark days whem my mother-in-law lived with us, and I would spen 4-6 nights a week at the track.
        Was great fun. Hopefully I can afford to get back into it someday, now that my kids are old enough to enjoy it too...
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I can see how you could spend some serious money on this stuff. I am in over $800 so far and I only do it for recreation. I can't imagine if I were to do it competitively!

Comment

Racing RCs is actually where my handle came from.
            Me and a pal used to take turns at the announcer's stand timing and calling the races we weren't in at the track that sponsored us.
            I dubbed him "Dyno" Paul D., and he dubbed me "Kruzin" Kenny. Those nicks became well known at the local tracks, and have stuck ever since...
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

hehe...looks like parhelia is a cheap "toy" in comaprison to these

Comment

Yup. RC Racing is pricey and addictive.

Edit: But fun as hell!

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                  Yup. RC Racing is pricey and addictive.

Edit: But fun as hell!

- Gurm
                  Man, I miss my old RC cars, I had a cool 4x4 truck but it was from Radio Shack so it only lasted about 30 minutes until the motors fried, got my money back but I sure was upset.

Stupid reminisin, makes me sad.
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

hasnt this been replaced by 'Robot Wars' as the expensive hobby of choice (BattleBots) in the US ...

(Had a RC Helicopter when young ... serious fun with the tomato dropper
                    G400 32 D/H, PIII650@840, ABIT-BE6II, MX300

Comment

That does sound like a lot of fun. I pass an RC field on my way to work. There's always someone flying a plane or helicopter or racing their cars. I've been tempted many times, but still haven't tried it out yet.
                      How fast does that truck of yours go?
                      My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

I miss RC Cars. I used to have all kinds of stuff. Yokomo YZ-10, Kyosho Optima(pre-87), The Hornet! My first car. I miss racing and yes, it is very expensive. Hey Kindess, who did your paintjob?

Dave
                        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I had a Nico raven!
                          4x4!
                          Fast as hell on both track and ofroad but chewed batteries as fast as Gurm Chewes newbies
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                            I had a Nico raven!
                            4x4!
                            Fast as hell on both track and ofroad but chewed batteries as fast as Gurm Chewes newbies
                            That's the cool thing about nitro cars. I can pull it in and add fuel while it is still running. It is pretty much non-stop untill you break something.

Comment

Which is.... about 10 minutes?
                              My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Working...
                              X