Did I mention I hate WD hard drives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I mention I hate WD hard drives?

Yeah three weeks old and it's dying... wiped out all my email and contact list. Called support and this pompus ****wit refused to hear anything I said until... I solved many things on my own, to which I might add that if he had taken a whole minute to listen would have realised what was up, other than his BS form told him todo.

Error code 0257 anyone know that is?

Anywho they picked the wrong person to mess with and I'm now going to cost them at least double what I was charged. Yeah that's right, sell me garbage and see what happens. Heh *evile grin*
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Upgrade your sig

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Not until I remove it... I'm sure they'll replace with the same (garbage
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

If you've really had it less than 30 days, demand a refund. If you used a credit card, they can't give you any hassle at all.

Comment

Did you run the WD Datalife Guard tools on it? I'm assuming you did since you got an error code on it.

I'm suprised if you did that and told them that error code they would give you a hard time at all...damn I've RMA'ed over dozen WD drives and never ever had problem with them giving me a hard time. Even got them crossshipped with a CC number.
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

So, what are you gonna do now?

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

He did run datalife guard, that what the 0257 error code is. I'm RMA'ing a WD drive tomorrow. A 20 GB, but it was in a computer that was moved around a lot by someone that didn't know how to.

My error was 2010.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Normaly I use phrases like "I wouldent trust a WD further than I can throw it..."

But

I can throw a WD pretty far (Tested it )

So I say : "I will newer trust a WD with anything I can't replace"

Good Luck Greebe!

I'm really glad I'm not working for WD now
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Well, I also had a WD crash (after approx. 1 year). There simply was no sign of partitions (all 3 of them were lost), no recovery software found anything, and repartitioning the drive seemed to work, but after a reboot the new partitions were also gone.
                  The store were I bought it, sent it back and after 5 weeks (!) it came back with the message that there was nothing wrong with the disk...
                  (apparently, they always replace the PCB at the bottom of the disk before testing it; if the error was caused by some error in the PCB, they wouldn't find it)

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Who makes a good hard drive these days? I tell you it's a plot.
                    You're never going to replace a hardrive these because of lack of space so they're going to make it fail instead.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                      You're never going to replace a hardrive these because of lack of space so they're going to make it fail instead.
                      Sad but true (altough I haven't had to RMA a harddisk yet (knock on wood)).
                      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I have installed 6 IBM drives ranging from 15gig 75GXP's to 60gig 60GXP's and not had one lick of trouble. I have read and followed the claims that these drives have a high failure rate, however I have yet to experience one.
                        I am now starting to use Seagate drives and have purchased 2 40gig Barracuda's, one of which is in my own machine. Nice drive, very quite yet not quite as fast as my IBM 60GXP.

The only drive I have ever had fail has been a Maxtor drive. I will not recommend Maxtor to anyone, not because I think they make a crappy product, but because of there lousey customer service. I RMA'ed the drive and Maxtor sent me one out right away. Little did I know that when they replace defective drives they replace it with anouther defective drive (a practice that all drive manufacturers most likely do). Much to my suprise the drive still had data on it and unfortunantly it failed after afew days. I RMA'ed that one back and within 4 days the new one was being delivered. Luckily my wife was at home when Air-Bourne Express was delivering it because she watched as the lady was about to knock on our door and she dropped the drive on the concrete. Needless to say the drive never worked at all. The next drive they sent failed after 2 months and I was getting sick of having to pay for all the shipping charges from my side. I asked Maxtor if they would agree to pick up the shipping charges from my side as well and the agreed I also asked them to send me out anouther model as this model was obviously a turd. They sent me a larger drive that has been working to this day. The trouble is that they didn't honor there agreement with me to pick up the shipping charges and tried to stick me with the bill. A $75 Bill Aparently the carrier that picked it up sent it air mail and then maxtor wouldnt pay it so they came after me. I refused to pay it and eventually they even sent one of those looser collection agantcies after me. After I explained the whole thing in detail to them and they reported back to Air-Bourne Express and Maxtor that they didnt think they had a leg to stand on and dropped the claim against me.

This is not Maxtors fault directly, but the way they handled it was disgraceful! So when ever the oppertunity comes up I try to tell my story. I also will never do buisness with Air-bourne Express agian either becuase of this.
                        Last edited by KilrB; 21 June 2002, 04:58.

Comment

Originally posted by KilrB
                          I have installed 6 IBM drives ranging from 15gig 75GXP's to 60gig 60GXP's and not had one lick of trouble. I have read and followed the claims that these drives have a high failure rate, however I have yet to experience one.
                          You've been lucky...though I've had 3 IBM drives and they went bad in the computer I had them in, but a month later I set them up in my work PC to get an error code so I could RMA and guess what no error codes! So I winded up selling them and they still have a warrenty left on them so they can RMA if they run into a problem
                          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

It seems hard drive manufacturers go through peaks and valleys,remember when IBM was king of the hill,next thing there's a class action suit against them and they're out of the hard drive business!
                            Prior to them WD was the best,they hit their valley a few years ago.
                            Next thing I hear there okay,IBM is making their drives for them!
                            Now we see WD may not be alright!
                            Many people swear by Maxtor,but mention Maxtor and some will condemn it!
                            I always liked Quantum,but there not around anymore!
                            The only conclusion to be drawn is the best hard drive is the one that works!
                            I know,Greebe,that's not much help,but it's the only conclusion I can come up with!

Comment

Originally posted by GT98

You've been lucky...though I've had 3 IBM drives and they went bad in the computer I had them in, but a month later I set them up in my work PC to get an error code so I could RMA and guess what no error codes! So I winded up selling them and they still have a warrenty left on them so they can RMA if they run into a problem

You may be right. That is the reason that i've switched to Seagate

Comment

Working...
                              X