X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement Mapping.

Joel
    Attached Files
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

And here's another one.

Joel
    Attached Files

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.

Comment

So who will be the first to create RSN texture patches for that demo then?
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

GNEP: you know better than to say such foolish things: EVERYBODY knows that the RSN chip is not on the current cards… only alphas had it. Man, I was really hoping to play the upcoming TR game with the Parhelia rsn ON, but the excitement has vanished since I heard the bad news...
        What was necessary was done yesterday;
        We're currently working on the impossible;
        For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
        - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
        - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
        - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
        - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
        - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
        (Server)
        - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
        - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
        - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
        - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

yeah I know - but in the absence of h/w support, I am sure that we can emulate in software.

Comment

Joel
            Attached Files

www.lp.org

Comment

is it just me, or is displacement mapping, what flightsims has been waiting for?
              This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

And everything else.

Of course, the two tough ones - infinitely complex fractally generated lanscapes, and dynamic deformation of those landscapes may take a little more work. (In fact, thinking about it right now, those two are probably mutually exclusive?)

gnep

Comment

It will be great when developers start using this.

Joel
                  Attached Files

www.lp.org

Comment

If they start using it, look how long its took for dev to use some of the cool features of other cards...

Comment

That just proves a point. Somehow it matters to nVidiots and fanATics that Parhelia is "only" DX8.1, but when anyone brings up P's features, everyone says "people don' t get around to using new features."
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

hmm that maybe they can use the DP mapping in RTS games
                        Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

Another point. None of these cool new features such as DM would never come around if HW manufactures didn't make hardware that supports it. It has to start somewhere and in the graphics industry it starts with the hardware first and then the software is written for it. I like it when companies are early adpoters because that usually means that they are the defacto standard for that feature and when it is widely available later on, that company usually has the most stable software for it.

Dave
                          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Hm... about terrain generation...
                            There are a bunch of bames that already do it and don't have too many problems...
                            Most Novalogic games (Commanche, DeltaForce) use voxels, which look nice even when looked close up.

As for terrain generation... check it out:
                            Matrox Millenium P750 bios 1.3 - 12, P4 3Ghz HT 800Mhz, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 1Gb DDR400 Dual Channel, Dual Seagate 80Gb S-ATA on Intel Raid level 0, Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1302, external Yamaha CD-RW CRW-F1DX on Firewire, Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, Viewsonic P90F, Viewsonic PF790

Comment

EMBM wasn't a great success, but DM seems different, as well as DAT. Some developer (was it Epic?) said that they were able to add DM to their engine in only a couple of hours.
                              Getting DAT in hardware should be pretty nice. I remember a game, <I>Requiem</I>, which had some sort of software DAT. It really helps out, since the game never really slowed down, it just lowered the details. It's a kickass way to keep your framerate up, and max out your eye candy when possible.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X