price is it really so bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• price is it really so bad?

alot of people are up in arms about the price of the parhelia.why??
    the retail price, in ontario, with shipping and tax is like 675.while that sounds awful-REMEMBER the geforce 3 was like 720. i had a friend that paid that 4 months after it was released.
    matrox is bringing alot more to the table than faster core/mem speeds.i am looking forward to the advancements in color,2d and the best dualhead-now triplehead display out there.i believe the card will work great out of the box and any speed gains through future drivers will be gravey.

just my take....

I don't think the price is too bad, I paid more for my original Millennium 7 years ago. Whether it is worth the price is another matter, only time and reviews will tell. I'd also expect the Parhelia to be supported to the level the original Millennium has been as well and not dropped rapidly like Matrox have done with some of their other products that I could mention.

Comment

Ant, you got the 8 MB Millennium for that price? I remember I paid $325 US for my Millennium 2 MB + 2 MB upgrade when it got out… however, I did paid $600 US for my Ultima Plus 4 MB… Man, I was so crazy I remember having the baddest rig in town (small 50k town) : Matrpx Ultima Plus 4 MB, i486 DX2 66 MHz O/C @ 80, 32 MB Ram and Dual Quantum 500 MB fast-SCSI2 HD... cost me an arm, a leg and a nut back then... so having to sell a kidney to get a Parhelia does look like nothing now...
      What was necessary was done yesterday;
      We're currently working on the impossible;
      For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
      - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
      - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
      - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
      - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
      - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
      (Server)
      - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
      - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
      - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
      - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

Mine was (is) the Millennium 2MB, I got the 2MB upgrade at a later date

Comment

Exactly. The price is OK, but it remains to be seen whether or not its worth it.

The most expensive graphics card I've bought up to now is my original Matrox Mystique 4MB. I needed the one with 4MB onboard so as to keep the add-on slot free for a Rainbow Runner and it ended up costing me £180.

Comment

I've had 7+ years out of my Millennium and I still use it, great value for money. Do you think we will be saying that in 7 years about the Parhelia?

Comment

Agreed with Ant!

I hope Matrox will maintain the Parhelia as long as they have done previous hardware - and there's nothing to suggest they will not do. I've got a G200 and G400 Max both still in active service (afraid the Millenium & Mystique made way for these models).

I do feel however that it's a smidgen overpriced considering no software bundle (already threaded on the forum!). It's features do look good but even then they need to be translated into software with the aid of solid and continued developer relationships.
              Cheers, Reckless

Comment

399$ is not that bad, if you consider that is the 128 MB version and that the GF3 was more expensive.

The only bad thing is the fact that in Europe it will cost a lot more...

However, I'll wait for the 64 Mb version to come out and then I'll take a decision. I don't think to really need 128 Mb of ram on a video card!!

(uh, I forgot I'm a reseller...well, I'll wait for see my price, then )

(just a question. The first sentence in this message is correct or does it miss the subject? Is "that" sufficient, or should it be "if you consider that it is the" ? )
                Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Considering that the cheapest GF4 ti4600 costs $300USD, and the Parhelia offers approximately the same speed plus a heap of features. I'd say we're get a bargain at $400.

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
                    Considering that the cheapest GF4 ti4600 costs $300USD, and the Parhelia offers approximately the same speed plus a heap of features. I'd say we're get a bargain at $400.
                    True, but top-end GeForce cards have always been way overpriced. The price differential between the three GeForce 4 cards is massive, yet there's not much between them spec-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt
                      399$ is not that bad, if you consider that is the 128 MB version and that the GF3 was more expensive.

(just a question. The first sentence in this message is correct or does it miss the subject? Is "that" sufficient, or should it be "if you consider that it is the" ? )

Italian Guy, Bad English
                      ...if you consider that it is the...

Finnish Guy, Not So Good English either
                      "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."
                      Ken Olson, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

Comment

Well, I think that in 7, first of all, AGP will be dead, we'll be using a Parhelia 4 XP2 4 TB and we'll have flying cars . . . The only thing I hope for is that in 7 years I'll still be married As for which video card I'll be using, the only thing I can predict is maybe 3GIO 2 ? Ant: My Mil is now in a storage box, but I still uses some Mystiques 220 2+6 MB for occasionnal troubleshooting. I guess you make the same use out of you Mil 1...
                        Last edited by frankymail; 20 June 2002, 08:19.
                        What was necessary was done yesterday;
                        We're currently working on the impossible;
                        For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
                        - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
                        - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
                        - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
                        - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
                        - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
                        (Server)
                        - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
                        - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
                        - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
                        - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

The price is a bit on the highend, but overall not too bad. I still have my G200 Marvel being used in my dads Secondary PC that he uses for burning CDs and stuff and the G400 MAX is used in my Girlfriends PC. I say this much...I've bought 7 video cards in the past 4 years and I've still got my Matrox cards .
                          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                            ...I say this much...I've bought 7 video cards in the past 4 years and I've still got my Matrox cards .
                            Ditto. I've had loads of graphics cards in the last few years, but the only ones I've still got are a Millennium G400Max, Millennium G450, and an ATi Radeon 8500LE.

My brother has my old Mystique, and Marvel G200.

Comment

Parhelia 128MB DDR AGP Retail
                              Mfr code: PH-A128R
                              Quicklinx: 2250WS
                              Long Lead Time Expected £306.00
                              £359.54

This is a quote from dabs.com and it is well above $400
                              Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

Working...
                              X