Let me know when there's a XFree86 driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let me know when there's a XFree86 driver

I'm be more than happy to plunk down my credit card for a shiny-new Parhelia, but until it can be driven on my Linux/XFree86 machine there's no point .

Until those drivers exist, I'm going to have to live vicariously though you Win2K/WinXP geeks.

I'm waiting on an official response from Matrox as to Linux support, I'll post as soon as I get it.

Comment

I'm still waiting on my official response but this is what Matrox's Dan Wood stated in a recent interview.

ET: Will there be Linux drivers available when Parhelia ships? If so, for which distros? If not, are Linux drivers planned for later release, or will Matrox be making available sufficient information to allow open-source drivers to be written?

DW: The plan is to have Linux drivers available on our web site at the time that the Parhelia ships (right around the corner). These would be solid 2D multi-display drivers (up to TripleHead) that will work with any distribution that uses XFree86. The next step following this release would be to work on porting our 3D OpenGL driver to Linux. Note that this work is expected to take some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant

DW: The plan is to have Linux drivers available on our web site at the time that the Parhelia ships (right around the corner). These would be solid 2D multi-display drivers (up to TripleHead) that will work with any distribution that uses XFree86. The next step following this release would be to work on porting our 3D OpenGL driver to Linux. Note that this work is expected to take some time.
        Well, that's good news about the 2D, but I'm disappointed about how (apparently) long we'll have to wait for 3D. Although most of my time is spent in 2D, I play the occasional FPS and would like to get better performance in these games than my G400MAX provides.

Oh, well. Thanks for the info.

Comment

My friend who asked me for framebuffer support for Parhelia pointed me to this thread...

It is not directly related to XFree driver, but I sent couple of emails to developer support (devrel@matrox.com) asking what I have to do to get sample (Czech citizens cannot preorder, not even talking about engineering samples...), and what support I can expect from Matrox when writting Linux framebuffer support, but unfortunately I received answer I always get: silence.

I assume that it will take at least year before I discover everything needed to make working driver for Parhelia: G450 and G550 was released very long ago and they are very simillar to G400, but I finished TV-Out and DVI support for them only few weeks ago...

Best regards,
          Petr Vandrovec
          vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

Comment

Working...
          X