DV - MSP6.0 - MPEG-1 - VCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV - MSP6.0 - MPEG-1 - VCD

Been doing some reading in a lot of other forums recently to gather info for a hw/sw purchase. Somewhere (possibly on the MSP WWUG) I recall reading that several people were not too happy with the MPEG-1 clips that MSP6 was giving them, and, thus, their VCD's were not satisfactory. Does MSP6 or its default plug-ins have a problem making decent MPEG-1? I work with MPEG-1. For now, it's about all I want, but if I invest in DV and MSP6, then I need nice MPEG-1 to be the return. Any thoughts much appreciated.

I can't talk about MSP6 because I haven't got it loaded up yet, but the MPEG output from MSP5 was renowned for taking a long time to render and being pretty mediocre in quality at the end of the day.

That's why most folks use standalone MPEG convertors (or occassionally plug-ins). I certainly won't preach on this subject since everyone has their own favourite. I use a free utility called AVI2MPEG which does what I need with minimum of fuss

Comment

Thanks for your candor, Chris. More food for thought as I weigh the pros and cons. Now I have to lean towards Premiere because my best MPEG encoder (Panasonic) is a plug-in for it. Steeper learning curve with Premiere, overall, but I can hang.

The only reason I stick with MPEG is its portability. When I share my creations with my extended family I want to know that when I pop that VCD in their old Cyrix or P266 boxes they will be able to see motion pictures, instead of some message that begins with "unable" or "unrecognized."

Comment

If you have a decent speed connection I could send you a sample of MSPro's MPEG output. Just tell me what you want to see. It can encode MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 at up to 14648 kbps. I have a cable modem so bandwidth isn't a problem at my end.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The Ligos GoMotion encoder built-in to MediaStudio Pro 6 lacks field-based encoding capability. The *variable bit rate* (VBR) functionality is also missing.

To make a long story short... the GoMotion encoder built-in to MediaStudio appears to be designed primarily for creating MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 that will only be viewed on somebody else's computer monitor and not played back from a standalone DVD player to somebody's television set.

Panasonic's MPEG-1 encoder does the best job with MPEG-1 - AND YOU DON'T NEED PREMIERE to use it. You can download a standalone version that works great.

Panasonic's encoder does not do MPEG-2.
          http://www.networkserve.co.jp/mpeg/index_e.html

bbMPEG is free and can be had from this site:
          http://members.home.net/beyeler/bbmpeg.html

Then, there's an MPEG encoder SHOOT OUT at this Web site:
          http://www.tecoltd.com/enctest/enctest.htm

Comment

Doc, Jerry, Thanks for the input. It's becoming obvious that I will end up with both programs (Premiere & MSP6). Canopus has made the Adobe-Raptor bundle more attractive by adding Raptor Edit, Soft Xplode and I think the cable even comes with it. I can buy a competitive upgrade to MSP later after I get my feet wet with DV.

I ruled out the ADS-Raptor deal, even though it is the best bundle. I found several people who said their main editor, which I think was Premiere, wouldn't even recognize the card. I'm looking for maximum compatibility now and in the future. Canopus is that.

As for Panasonic encoder, I already have the standalone one but would likely have to buy the Premiere plug-in if it becomes a must-have.

This has been a tough search. I have heard from many who swear by MSP and many who would have no other than Adobe. Ultimately, I will just have to "see" for myself.

Comment

Working...
            X