X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 Gurus: A RAM Question

I have 512mb of DDR memory installed.

It's reported as 512mb in the bios.

However, when I right mouse click on the 'My Computer' icon, I observe under 'properties' 490,980 kb of memory.

Why isn't the value reported as 512mb?

Thanks,

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

do you have an integrated video card?

Comment

Well, I might not have seated the stick properly.

I just installed two 512mb sticks and Windows now reports the amount of ram correctly... I think... it's reporting over a gigabyte.

I'll look again in a moment (after my memtest program finishes testing the new ram).

Yes - I have an integrated display (Asus A7N266).

Jerry Jones
      Last edited by Jerry Jones; 17 June 2002, 22:39.

Comment

Just looked again...

Windows 2000 reports my two 512mb sticks as 1,015,268kb.

I've noticed on computers in my City Hall offices that Windows 2000 reports slightly 'off' quantities of ram.

On my Windows 98 system here, the 256mb of ram is reported exactly as 256.

Jerry

Comment

Integrated video uses some of your system ram.

so you probably have 16meg or so assigned for video display use, it is perfectly normal.

PS: I am not certain, but there may be some tools from asus/nvidia which allow you to adjust the amount of memory used by the integrated video.

16 meg sound fine for normal use but if you do any graphic intensive stuff/games..etc allocating more should improve things

Comment

Time to put in an order for a Parhelia Jerry, for more reason than one

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

While on the subject of Windows 2000 memory, does anyone know of a way to stop the System Cache from eating up all my memory (512MB)? As soon as I get into Windows I launch cacheman and watch the memory used bar go from ~130MB to 500+MB in front of my eyes without running anything. I know it's supposed to give it back on request but having only about 4MB free slows down program startup time. In fact winrar takes about a minute to appear. Never had these problems with 98SE and I can't use XP as my G400 Marvel is not suppported.
              Nethermancer

Comment

Something wrong there.

I have 512M on this machine and have 355 available according to Taskmanager.(34 tasks running including Norton firewall,Antivirus,ECDC5,Answering machine admin,USB scanner and 2 networks etc)

Never tinkered with cacheman on this machine though - my last experience with it was not a good one.

Winrar,Winzip etc all opens in about 2 seconds maximum here.

You tried allowing W2K to do its own thing again?

Running SP2 and all the other latest little patches as I do?
                Last edited by LvR; 18 June 2002, 05:33.
                Lawrence

Comment

Working...
                X