TI4200 or 8500LE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TI4200 or 8500LE

Unfortunately I cant wait for or afford the Parhelia so its a tossup between the ATI 8500le (£99) or a SIluro TI4200 (£135). Does anyone have experience of these?

Regards Michael
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

I wouldn't get the Siluro. Asus does a really bad job with IQ on their video cards. Gainward, Visiontek, some others have much better visual quality.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hey if you want an Radeon 8500 Retail for a good deal, PM me or Email me and we can talk
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I wouldn't get the Siluro. Asus does a really bad job with IQ on their video cards. Gainward, Visiontek, some others have much better visual quality.
        ABIT makes Siluro, but I doubt that makes much a difference since most people, here at least, don't like ABIT.

Comment

Oh, Abit. I get their video cards confused. Still, they both have bad IQ histories.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeah they certainly do.

Comment

<i>"Unfortunately I cant wait for or afford the Parhelia "</i>

I'm with the ugly guy below me

(It's amazing how many threads I kill with that line )

Comment

Personally I'd go with 8500, but I really insist that you dig into the features of each card before making your decision if you can't wait for the Parhelia.

Good luck with whatever you choose,
                ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

c't says that the visionteks are the only GF4's with acceptable image quality

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Re: TI4200 or 8500LE

Originally posted by mdhome
                    Unfortunately I cant wait for or afford the Parhelia...
                    Why, how much do they cost?? I haven't heard anything about price yet except for the assumptions .

Comment

what about colour saturation.
                      The Gf's I have seen, still seem to have somewhat bleached colours but the crispness is better.

The ati 8500le I have seen seemed to have good colour satutration and a reasonably crisp display.

I really miss the colour saturation and contrast of my old g200, but alas the parhelia is just a spark on the horizon for my wallet, it will be a 8500 or 4200 for me as well (128 mb version)

anyone heard of an Auriga 8500, they have a model with 128m of mem and 275/275 clocks that is quite inexpensive?

Comment

On Newegg they have an ATI Original 8500 128M (275/275) for $162 USD.

Comment

I've got an 8500 and it isn't bad. If you get one I suggest you use the Omega/Cyborg drivers as they're pretty good. I'm using ATI's catalyst drivers now under 98. The only prob with them is that they've bogged up the fonts under Fifa 2001 football manager.
                          I'm waiting for Omega and co to release there new drivers and then I'll switch back.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Pro GF4 Ti4200: Slightly faster, more compatible and still better overall drivers. MUCH better FSAA performance.

Pro R8500: Better display-quality, better TVOut, better DualMonitor capabilities (IMHO). MUCH better anisotropic filtering performance. Better FSAA quality IMO, but at a major speed hit. Better DVD video-playback capabilities.

So I guess it depends on what you're planning to do. If you want the most hassle free game operations and care about FSAA, get the GF4.
                            However if you want to use anisotropic filtering or are spoiled by Matrox' 2D quality then get the Radeon. (Be aware that neither the R8500 nor the GF4200 will give you 2D quality comparable to a G400, though).

In my case it was an easy choice: I want a good TV-Out and am extensively doing desktop video. And I prefer ultra-high resolutions with anisotropic filtering to lower-res FSAA.
                            So of course I got the Radeon.
                            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                            My System
                            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                            German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
                            X