Win2K and Marvel G200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2K and Marvel G200

I've had my Marvel G200 running perfectly on Win98 for a couple years now, but I'll be upgrading my mobo, cpu and memory soon, so I'll need to reformat and reinstall. I'm thinking that this time I should go with Win2K. It's been a long time since I've read posts dealing with the G200, and now wondering what drivers + vidtools + MV disabler + YUY enabler is best to use.

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Been there, done that, Thien.

I scrapped the G-200 Marvel (at least for that work) and gone all-DV, using the Canopus ADVC-100. Works beautifully with analogue input. Haven't tried it with analogue output, though, but I would anticipate no trouble. Much easier than all the hassle of using the G-200 in non-hardware mode. I captured a 60 min VHS-C tape made in c. 1990 the other day: 0 drops, perfect synch!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I wish I could do that, but as a college student I only can spend so much on my computer and since my old Celeron is highest priority on upgrade list that is where my budget is heading. Also at this point I am only really using the card for watching TV and such since our other TV is smaller than my monitor

Thanks for the tip anyways.
      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

It is very likely that your G200 Marvel will not work with a new motherboard. AGP voltage issue.

Comment

Not just the voltage issue, but also most modern motherboards' AGP socket will not even accept a G-200 card. This is what provoked my scrapping the G-200 for video work (I still use it as a graphics card on a different computer).
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

The ECS mobo I'm most likely to buy has a universal slot and accepts 2x, so it shouldn't be a problem. Trust me, if I could keep my G200 with this mobo and buy a new vid card, capture card, mobo, etc I would. Well, if something wonderful happens and I get $1000 that can only be spent on computer gear (otherwise the money would go to paying loans and rent) I wouldn't have any problems .

Comment

I also own a Marvel G200 but got tired of "playing around" and losing so much time trying to make it work with modern OSes like W2k and XP. Like you I didn't want to spend a fortune on hardware, but was really interested in archiving very valuable 8mm tapes to CD/DVD.
              I bought a Canopus ADVC-50, the lower end of the analog to DV box that Brian mentionned above. It's 30% less expensive ($199)and only one way (analog to DV) which is exactly what I needed.
              I have been transferring tapes to my Pioneer 104 DVD-RW since I got it 2 weeks ago and am extremely happy with the setup. I use XP home and it is rock solid. Now I can concentrate on creating video projects, and stop worrying about drivers and lost frames. Quality is perfect. Life is good again.
              I still think my $250 investment in the Marvel 4-5 years ago was a good one. It was time to move on though and get a separate card for capture. Now I can look at Parhelia or Nvidia cards for the pure graphics rendering part if I want to and not worry about capture functions anymore.

Fred

Comment

My original plan was to upgrade my computer, use Win2K and have the spare parts be used for a Linux computer. I realized that was a ridiculous plan though and that I should only really be using Linux. So once I upgrade my computer will be dual boot Linux/Win98, my sisters old laptop will be Linux, and my spare parts computer will also be Linux (or these parts will go to upgrade my parents computer). Yay!

Comment

I have a Marvel G200 running perfectly under Win2k on an Asus CUSL2-C motherboard. I installed the "official" drivers and I use the "FD patch" to enable YUY2. I do all my capturing as full-sized YUY2 with Picvideo and HuffYuv using Avi_IO, I don't bother using the internal MJPG hardware codec. I use it only for creating SVCD's.

I have also tried previous versions of Videotools, there's an early beta version around that will even let you capture from inside pc-vcr remote.

Note that you have to disable busmastering in Powerdesk.
                  Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Here's an interesting post (below) that suggests the proper configuration of an ASUS CUSL2-C. The post is for a Millenium G400 AGP, but I would guess that the logic applies to a Marvel G200 AGP as well. Has anyone tested this to see if the recommended configuration allows the Marvel G200 AGP to run WITH bus mastering under Win2K?

Last edited by tony; 23 November 2002, 18:30.

Comment

FD - which patch did you use to get YUY2 on W2K? All the
                      ones I see say they are for 98 only. I downloaded one program
                      a while back that will enable YUY2, but you have to run it
                      each time you want to use it (it doesn't permanently
                      patch the driver. Can you supply a URL?
                      Groetjes.

Comment

Hoi Frankie,

the "patch" for Win2k simply sends a "message" to the Matrox capture format settings window and makes the hidden YUY2 and MJPG radiobuttons visible.

In older versions of Videotools the buttons were simply made invisible in the resource section of the DLL, in the newer versions it is hard-coded. I didn't want to debug the DLL itself (didn't seem worthwhile, the problem was so easily circumvented)...

You can download the patch somewhere at this forum (search for yuy2w2k.exe).
                        Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

I actually patched the dll a while back to permanently enable yuy2 capture. If anyone is interested I can put it up for d/l.

AlgoRhythm

Comment

Working...
                          X