Cracking while installing Off CDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracking while installing Off CDs

I'm running into a problem when I install games on my new rig. I keep getting a cracking/popping noise while the CD is installing the game. Once its done it goes away and so far I've been ok with no cracking/popping while I'm playing a game. Yes I have SB Audigy, but I have SIS 745 Chipset so I shouldnt run into the Nasty VIA PCI bandwidth bug. Any suggestions?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

I don't hear that on my SiS 745/ECD K7S6A system so I doubt it's a chipset issue.

Have you tried turning down the audio hardware acceleration all the way in the Multimedia options?

Multimedia Properties/Audio/ Sound Playback/ Advanced/Performance

If that does it then I'd start thinking about the Audigy hogging the bus as a source of your problem. While it is a new card it retains many bad-actor features the SBLive had.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Re: Cracking while installing Off CDs

Originally posted by GT98
      I'm running into a problem when I install games on my new rig. I keep getting a cracking/popping noise while the CD is installing the game. Once its done it goes away and so far I've been ok with no cracking/popping while I'm playing a game. Yes I have SB Audigy, but I have SIS 745 Chipset so I shouldnt run into the Nasty VIA PCI bandwidth bug. Any suggestions?
      WHat's on what IRQ particularly the sound card and hard drive controllers? Post a DXDiag. It'll take three posts. Is the CD-ROM audio cable connected?

Comment

Hmm it gets more interesting. I turned off the Hardware acceleration and I still get theh popping/cracking while installing games, but if I use my Plexor Drive that is slaved off my brand X 52x Drive to install games...no popping what so ever. I pulled the Audio cable off the sound card before I posted...thinking that was causing it but still does it.

Heres my IRQ listing...
        Attached Files
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

If pulling the cable did nothing, it must be a problem either electrical or mechanical with the drive itself. What happens when playing or ripping an audio CD on this drive? Do you have another computer you can try it in? What about when just plain copying data from explorer? What about when insertng a CD during the normal detection phase? It could be related to the spin rate. It's possible that the drive may not be balanced correctly or in the case of drives that have them, the bearings may be faulty.

Edit:
          Try changing IDE cables, channels, and positions on the cable if you can.

Comment

Re: Cracking while installing Off CDs

Originally posted by GT98
            Okay it's annoying but if it goes away who cares. Try disabling the dma in the bios on your cd drive.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
            X