Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harry Potter released without protection.....Macrovision freaks out :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Potter released without protection.....Macrovision freaks out :)

The latest science and technology news from New Scientist. Read exclusive articles and expert analysis on breaking stories and global developments

Most relevent quote:

"Industry eyes are all now on the next big video release, Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, which is due in August. If this is also unprotected, Hollywood may have decided that it is cheaper to let a few people copy than spend money on protection."

Hmmmmmm......aren't market forces wonderful?

Dr. Mordrid

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 June 2002, 13:34.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Excellent. Not like Macrovision can't be cracked in dozens if not hundreds of ways anyway hardware and software. It's a complete waste to spend money on.

Comment

I'm no Tolkien fan, in fact, I haven't even read LotR, but I REALLY really liked the movie, and saw it 3 times in german and 4 or 5 times in english - it's so much better in english, even the german effects channels are weaker... I'll buy the special edition DVD with the missing scenes, when it comes... anyone know any details about LotR DVD editions and prices?

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

There's supposed to be 2 releases. One will be the version that was submitted as "final", but Paramount rejected for length. Later on, the "everything we wanted to put in" release will come out, with 4-1/2+ hours of footage.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have heard that they decided not to film tom bombadil at all, so you probably won´t see him. I have heard that most of the scenes that didn´t made it to the final movie, was scenes of legolas and gimli´s evolving friendship.
          This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Wombat (or anyone else) you don't happen to know when, the longer version will be out, if it will be limited to a certain number, what it will cost, if there will be a version with a european region code, or where I could get this info?

AZ

Comment

UK Information:

Lord of the Rings 2 DVD set, theatrical version
              Release date 6-8-02
              Approx. Cost £19

Lord of the Rings 4 DVD set, extended version
              Release date 12-11-02
              Approx. Cost £23

Lord of the Rings 4 DVD collectors edition, extended version
              Release date 12-11-02
              Approx. Cost £34

The extended version is the original film shown in cinemas last December re-edited to include 30 minutes of extra footage.
              The collectors edition will include exclusive Argonath Bookends and other extras yet to be confirmed.
              It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
              Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Hmm... I thought there had to be one even longer version... Well, time will tell

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by az
                  I'm no Tolkien fan, in fact, I haven't even read LotR
                  Then read them! I have read the whole series 6 or 7 tmes already!
                  According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I have a lot of retail tapes abd those that got Macrovison seems to age faster and generaly prduce a worse picture overall!

So if they dump it Il be happy!

Not that It matter any more since I only Buy DVD's (Where Macrovision works in a different way.....)
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                    X